• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle Claw inline reel available?

PFUNK

I know I am way behind on this but I am wondering if anybody knows where this reel is still available? I'm in throwing together my Xmas list and would like this to be on it if it can still be found.

Did not get much cooperation outta of the Eagle Claw reps at the ice show as far as availabilty. In part some questions were ignored.

Its possible that some of these reels may pop up here and there and if your lucky you'll find them online or at a local store.

I recommend reading up on the reviews of this reel and the black betty 6061 which is nearly identical reel before making a purchase. Make sure its the reel for you.

Sounds great. Thanks for the info guys. I did read up on the 6061 but the initial impressions didn't sound that great. I realize that isn't always a true indication of how good the reel performs but for $100 I'd rather give the Eagle Claw a shot.

Sounds great. Thanks for the info guys. I did read up on the 6061 but the initial impressions didn't sound that great. I realize that isn't always a true indication of how good the reel performs but for $100 I'd rather give the Eagle Claw a shot.

This is what makes the EC inline reel so attractive. Its price point when compared to the BB 6061. $15-$30 is a deal maker for same or similar features when you cant justify the $100 BB 6061.

This is what makes the EC inline reel so attractive. Its price point when compared to the BB 6061. $15-$30 is a deal maker for same or similar features when you cant justify the $100 BB 6061.

I was thinking that I would get the EC to see if I like using that style of reel. Then consider purchasing a BB6061.

Also my hope is that by next season, maybe the BB6061 manufacturing costs will come down a bit and lower that price tag. *crosses fingers*

I was thinking that I would get the EC to see if I like using that style of reel. Then consider purchasing a BB6061.

Also my hope is that by next season, maybe the BB6061 manufacturing costs will come down a bit and lower that price tag. *crosses fingers*

This is my way of thinking as well. Don't know if I will like the fly style reel or not so buying the $100 reel isn't the best place to start for my budget. Having said that I wouldn't want a bad experience with a cheaper reel to leave a sour taste in my mouth for that style reel in general. In that case i would just have to find a fellow HSOer on the ice with one of the higher end models and see if they'd let me have a feel for it to see if it is worth the added $$$. Out of curiosity, does anyone use any of the other multiplier type fly reels like the Martin multiplier?

I was the first one to stop by the eagle claw booth Friday and actually had time to talk with them before the crowd ganged up on them. This is what they told me, the next shipment from the manufacture to the distributors will not be till January, but the distributors still have some in stock and will be releasing some in equal amounts to their vendors for the next few weeks. They told me to just keep in touch with forums and vendors if you want one. Also right now the only way to get one is in the combo.

I managed to get two of the Eagle claw in line ice reals a couple of weeks ago at Gander Mountain. I think a few of them are still around. Just used them for the first time today perch fishing. Thought I would share my first impression pros and cons since there were several people showing interest in them. Pros- line sinks faster than Expected. Con- If you are not watching the line sink (tending another rod) and it hits bottom, the real keeps spinning creating a line mess. Pro- light weight and feels warm in cold weather, also the line retrieve ratio is pretty good. Con- If you hold the ice rod by palming the reel, like many ice fisherman do, you will be very disappointed as you will have difficulty reeling in your line because your hand is hitting the spool while it is trying to retrieve. Just some early observations.

Pros- line sinks faster than Expected. Con- If you are not watching the line sink (tending another rod) and it hits bottom, the real keeps spinning creating a line mess. Pro- light weight and feels warm in cold weather, also the line retrieve ratio is pretty good. Con- If you hold the ice rod by palming the reel, like many ice fisherman do, you will be very disappointed as you will have difficulty reeling in your line because your hand is hitting the spool while it is trying to retrieve. Just some early observations.

Great observations! Tunning out the tension on the free spool may help. You may not want the jig or lure to totally free spool but spool upon lightly with the help of your pull to get it going. Similar to what you may do with a bait caster reel. Constantly swapping lures sizes may make this cumbersome though to adjust.

As far as the spool hitting your hand while holding this may be an issue for bigger hands, the BB 6061 appears to have a longer foot stem then the EC reel. Holding the reel traditionally like a spinning reel may help during the free spool. Or try the pencil grip. If you have a fly reel type handle or a long cork handle 6"-11" to where you can grip the upper cork handle like a fly rod may also help.