• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tach for Small Outboard

cheddar 86

I have a 20hp Yamaha 4-stroke Outboard. I would like to find a cheap method to verifying idle rpm. I've looked online for tachs and find that there are $40-50 options available - Tiny-Tach, Sendec, ENM. My hesitation is that I've read in multiple places that Outboards generate more engine noise, but I don't know if that is problematic in my case. Some of the reviews of aforementioned products state that they get weird or incorrect readings - which may be due to number of cylinders or possibly electrical noise. I don't trust return policies for electronics and the hassle of doing so.

Anyone have an actual successful experience doing this - and if so what specific tach did you buy?

I went to the Tiny tack HSOforum and ordered direct. Describe what you are using it for and they will custom build one for you. I have a side consel and wanted longer lead and they put a filter diode in it for noise. Think it was $70 delivered. Works real well. Wanted to use it for setting idle and max RPM for prop. Has an hour meter on it as well for oil changes and maintenance.

This is what I ordered and have used on my Yamaha 20hp 4-stroke to check RPM's. It just wraps around a plug wire. I have also used in my my snowblower and some other engines. It works great. I just needed a tach to check various motors and was not concerned with oil changes since that occurs once a year on most of my small engines.

"Hardline Products HR-8061 Hour/Tach Meter"

Automotive; $33.06

Sold by: Amazon.com

I actually have an F25, not an F20 so my idle RPM's are a little different than what yours will be.

I think mine may have been a little low....875? I don't remember for sure. I was more concerned about testing a new prop to get as close to 6000 as I could.

Spec on min is: 950 +-50 rpms. I tried to get it right at 900, but it does bounce a little on the tach if I remember correctly.