• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

?'s on studs

minneman

What is the going rate to get studs installed? and on a 136" track would 72 be enough? just looking to add some improved stopping and takeoff control. and on the legal part what is the cost for the studded track permit in Mn.? thank ya

Your question is a common one. The number of studs for your track is dependant on the horsepower of your ride. A general rule of thumb is around 1 to 1.5 studs per horsepower. If you decide to install studs, do not make the mistake of installing an insufficient number of studs.

Track damage often comes from understudding. If there are not enough studs, and you like to accelerate, the engine power can overcome the strength of the track and break the stud, or worse yet, pull the stud through the track.

My 1998 XC 700 has 144 studs, and in 2900 miles I have not lost one and the track looks great. My 1995 XCR 600 also has 144 stids, and in 5500 miles, I have lost about six. The track is still very serviceable. The six lost studs came on a rainy day in in Upper Michigan where we had to run nearly 20 miles on mud and rocks.

You can expect to pay about a buck to a buck and a half to have the studs installed, not counting the price of the studs. If you feel inclined, studding is not that complicated to do yourself.

Most stud manufactureres have templates or patters available. You will need a good strong drill. You will also need a special track drill that can be had for about six bucks. It will punch a neat hole in the track, and when the drill goes through the track, running the drill at high speed will heat the rubber and seal the newly created hole.

Last year my stud stickers cost 13 bucks each.

Gissert, Thanks for your info, as for doing it your self, does the track need to come off?? Im prety handy, thinking I could handel it if the track doesnt have to come off?
Also, you said understuding may cause more track damage, I asume thats cuz of the track spinning with the ability to throw one and possibly tear the track?? Im a wee green on this, as the last sled I owned had cleats (75). also they're saying in the warenty, studs void track coverage, just want to do the right thing, but Ive driven the studded tracks and the control you have is what I need, Thanks again!!

minneman -

Studding a track in not at all difficult. I have always done mine on the sled. No need to remove the track at all. First, you need to decide on a pattern. On my last track, I had 144 studs. I suggest something in a vee pattern. Try not to make them perfectly line up every time you start a new vee. You want to have as many individual scratch lines as possible. If you have a standard 121 inch track, there should be 48 track sections. I found it easiset to get some graph paper and draw out the pattern I planned on doing on paper. Then I took a white grease pencil, and marked where each stud would go on the track. I spent a couple hours on layout before I even touched the drill. The magazine Supertrax had an excellelt article on studding a track 4 or 5 years ago. Perhaps they have a reprint available?

When it came time to drill the track, I just rolled the sled on it side, and started drilling and installing studs. When I had finished a couple of rows, I would pull the track around by hand, and the next section would roll into place.

On the subject of understudding - Too few studs will not be able to handle the torque of the track vs the holding power of the stud. This is where pull thrus and broked studs happen. Most stud mfgs have a guide on how many studs to use for your application and style of riding. They can help you with suggested pattern, too.

Any time you drill a hole in a track, you are cutting the fiberous threads that hold it together. This will weaken the track somewhat, and may void some warranties.Track