• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnkota power drive problems

Fisherman45

I was out on the lake the other day and had a issue with the foot petal on the Minnkota power drive 70#lb 24v about 6 years old. I stepped down and the foot petal went to the left and got stuck and was twisting up the cable. I pulled the power plug before it got to tight. I then fixed the foot petal and plugged everything back in and get power to the test indicator on the trolling motor but nothing to the foot petal. I then replaced the foot petal with a know working one and get nothing. Just wondering if the sliders on the foot petal got slid over the wrong micro switches it could cause a short or something like that? Anyone have any Ideas? The thing was working fine right up until the thing got stuck turning left.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

You can pull the top off of the pedal and take a look at things. Often times with these pedals, they get dirty from little bits of sand and dirt that you track into your boat. The guys at the motor clinic in Bloomington told me years ago to "clean" my pedal every so often (I do it once or twice a summer) by dunking it in the lake. It won't damage any of the components and I haven't had a problem since then. My pedal is now about 8 years old and works perfectly

The foot pedal had a build up of sand which caused the slider to go past its stopping point to the left it then kept spinning left and wound the cable up on the shaft but not to tight that it pulled any wires out before until I unplugged it. I know the foot pedal works now as I have tried it on another minn-kota trolling motor plus I have a second foot pedal from that motor.

The issue now is I have power to the tester on the trolling motor but using either foot pedal produces no movement on the motor turning or spinning the prop. There is a 50 amp breaker under the console but if the tester light works and shows battery fully charged the that would indicate the breaker is working.