• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finding the right boat....

K_Josh87

Hey all...

I talked pa into selling our wd45 allis tractor we have and getting a fishing boat to sit in the shed and collect dust instead... We will not be buying new, and will be in the 3,000 or under price range... We are not real fussy on what we want, but we want to most for our money, and i want to see some opinions on what would fit the needs/wants....

A MUST is a counsel steering system, trim/tilt

Other than that... Decent seats, livewell, and not huge (small enough for 1 guy to load....

It would be nice for pa to be able to take the grandkids out fishing with room/stability

I am not terribly fussy, but I do like to bow fish, and also wouldn't mind having something that could handle an occasional duck hunt on bigger water (i mostly hunt puddle lakes with my small duck boat, but would consider fasioning a clamp on blind, or using it to get on some bigger water it the opportunity arised, but not a primary concern...

I am finding a lot of 16' boats with the basics we would like in our price range... All v hulls... I am wondering how a modified v front jon boat handles, how are they to fish out of. are they more stable for kids moving around, and bow fishing off a platform.... Or does one just stick with a v hull for handling and deeper side walls...

Open for all thoughts/ opinions, [Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Thanks!

Josh

i was in the same boat (pun intended) as you 1 1/2 years ago when my good lady said "wouldn't it be nice if the whole family could go boating/fishing?", bach then i had a 14 ft aluminum sea nymph just for me to get around. she also mentioned that she would never set foot in that boat. long story short she was giving me permission at the time to get a bigger boat.

so we decided on a budget/price and i made a list of must haves. console steering, plenty big & safe for kids to walk around in, must seat 5, etc. then just watched the internet wire for a little while to see what came available. this time of year was early fall. i just kept looking and seeing what was avail in my price range (actually exactly the same as yours). i also peeked at ads that were as high as $4G, seeing if anyone would drop there price with cash in hand. Needless to say this was my first true boat buying experience and i knew nothing bout them. It was a big shot in the dark for me. but anyway after a couple of months of looking in late fall, i came across something great ( i thought) & close to home. sent a few emails thru the ad stating if he would drop the price a grand, i would be there that day to pick it up with cash. it took 4 or 5 emails to get him to my price but eventually did, i drove over, & was in heaven. i have learned a few things on the way, make minor updates, but i purchased everything original to the set with trailer, boat, & motor, with paperwork for proof. i am now the 3rd owner of this all 1984 setup of crestliner nordic explorer. added an updated fish finder last fall on sale, & am hoping to update seats soon. its not flashy, high end, or top notch by any means, but it does get me & the family on the water & is very safe for the kids with decent storage. i think best time of year for looking at used is fall/winter when ppl dont what to spend the $ or take the time to winterize them. it is a giant leap of faith to buy used without knowing the owner but the less u spend upfront, the more $ u have left to slowly fix it up as u wish also. good luck!!

I got a heckuva deal on the last one I bought... I paid 1200 bucks for a 14' forester with live well, three ped seats, and a 40 horse evy on it... the previous owner agreed on the green cash price, I made him the offer of 1200, cash in his hand IF he would taker out on the lake for a quick five minute swing with me just to show me the basics.... two years later with about 25 bucks into rewiring it front to back, and a newer battery, and second tank, I sold it for $1750...

This time around counsel steer is a must so dad can take it out and run it as well... I don't have enough time to get out too much myself, and honestly would rather get out a few times bow fishing than with a rod... but dad would liek to be able to take the grand kids out, and it'd be nice for the family to have access to it for vacations... so that why we are looking down the used and lower budget route.... no sense in spending 15 grand to have it get on the water a half dozen times or less a year... but a few grand, and several years of use at that rate is much more practical...

Very limited experience with the modified V flat bottoms. But the times I have been in them they dont track well while fishing with trolling motor. Wind will push it around pretty good compared to a deeper V.

For duck huntingthats not an issue, using it while casting from the bow could be an issue IMO.