• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

motor help

DarthBaiter

Can anyone recommend a good boat motor mechanic in either the Buffalo area or Willmaar/Spicer area? I pulled a "new to me" boat out that's been in storage for 3 years and suspect it needs a good tune-up. A 1989 70 H.P. VRO Johnson, I did clean it up and change out gas and put in new spark plugs. Took it for a dip and it was major bogged down. I have a silly question about the gas cap when motoring. Do I need to keep it slightly open like a vent or fully closed tight? My fishing boat that has the gas/oil mix, I know I need to vent it. But this boat is new to me and with the VRO direct inject oil, I wasn't sure if I needed to still "crack" the cap open or not. Either way I don't think that is my issue with the bogging down?? Thanks for any replies and advice with tips and or mechanic recommendations.

Gas cap vent must be opened. You could try running some Seafoam through it. If the carb bowls weren't drained before it was put in storage 3yrs ago the float and needle/seat set are likley gummed up . Also could check the gaskets to the carbs, they might have dried out and cracked.

Is there anything I could spray directly into the air intakes to free any sticky float needle/seats when i take the off the cover and expose all three of them? Not sure if I specificly need a marine type of cleaner or if any will work and not harm the engine?

Roger Hanson (Tiger) Owned and closed Tiger marine,Works out of his home shop.

(note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you)

There are two of his old mechanics in their own shops I dont have their numbers.Tiger is the best and his costs are lower that the local shops.

Pressure in the tank eases the work the fuel pump has to do by forceing fuel through the line.Keep the cap fully closed.If it was ment to be 1/2 open they would have made it that way.

If its an inboard or built in tank it already has a vent so no you can keep it closed. If its a portable (gas can) it does need to be vented or it will create a vacume.

As far as spraying directly into the carbs, you won't do much other than lube the Reeds and Pistons with what ever you are spraying. Use the Seafoam in your gas tank. run the motor with muffs on for a bit then let the Seafoam do its work. You could also try Gum Out brand, its all good stuff. I would try this before bringing it to the mechanich.