• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor batteries

mattrd

Hey guys,

I have a 1999 Tracker Super Guide 16.5ft boat. I currently have a Minn Kota AP 36lb thrust trolling motor on it. I'm getting sick of fighting it any time there is a little wind and running out of power half way through a day of fishing. I've decided to move up to a 24v system. I currently have 1 27series battery in the front for the trolling motor. My question is: Is it ok to run 2 24series batteries for the 24v system?? There is not enough room for 2 27's, but there is for 2 24's. Is there going to be a huge difference in the two types? I will probably be upgrading to a 65lb thrust AP.

Thanks guys!

Group 24-85 amp hrs

Group 27-105 amp hrs

Yes it is OK to do that but your reserve isn't as big.

If you stay with 12 volt and up the ft lbs on the trolling motor you will notice that is the battery life is shorter. If you want to double that life to your existing motor then add a second battery in parallel. A 36 lb thrust motor on your boat isn't under sized in light winds but if you use this in heavier winds and your able to keep control of the boat but the disadvantage is your draining a 12 volt battery fast. If your draining the battery in half a day, the battery is on its way out or your running between 3/4 to full.

Battery reserve being equal. A 24 system will be more efficient over a 12 volt system doing the same thing. If your thinking about 24 volt why not buy the second battery, hook it up in parallel and try it on your 12 volt motor. Of coarse have your current battery tested before you do this.