• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mail order plants from catalog

masoct3

Hello,

So I ordered a few plants from Burpee. I didn't really know what to expect; maybe a few leaves, maybe a thick trunk. Nope...just think twigs with roots. Is this normal for this type of entity? Should I just plant these and put a stick connected to it to ensure support?

Wow...I will never do this again. The pictures were so beautiful !

I think I will stick with local nurseries

Not sure what you ordered but companies such as Burpee and Gurnies usually have a good reputation for good stock. They ship perennials in the dormant stage which increase chances of good survival. Its good to plant perennials in the dormant stage anyways. Plant as directed and they should be fine.

Local nurseries are good too and have the added benefit of having local customer service.

Beware of the quality of the stock shipped in from afar every year to the big hardware chain stores. The plants many times are not on the same schedule as the local plants. Every year its interesting seeing the big HD chain ship in fully leafed-out trees to Duluth when the local trees barely have buds on them yet.

I never order anything but seeds, bulbs and roots from the online companies anymore. About 5 years ago, when we got serious about landscaping our new yard, I ordered a variety of plants like lilacs, dogwoods, hostas and peonies from the online companies in addition to going to the local nursery. Your story if very familiar. I got little twigs or sticks from the online companies that are just now beginning to resemble what you'd pick up in one gallon pots from the local nursery. You get what you pay for. I learned that quick. The plants from the online companies will grow but be prepared to wait - a looooong time. Paying a little more at the local nursery or big box store is worth it.

One plant I do really like getting from the online companies is hostas. I bought about 60 of them from one company 5 year ago and what I got looked like 60 little parsnips. I plugged them in the ground and now these things are like monsters. I'm going to start dividing them this fall. Not bad for about a buck a piece. But again, patience was key.

Yes, Hostas can be very abundant and you can split them over and over every year. Part of the order we got was two butterfly bushes. We already have two on our property, but these are just junk pretty much. I hope the root can produce something soon.

I never order anything but seeds, bulbs and roots from the online companies anymore. About 5 years ago, when we got serious about landscaping our new yard, I ordered a variety of plants like lilacs, dogwoods, hostas and peonies from the online companies in addition to going to the local nursery. Your story if very familiar. I got little twigs or sticks from the online companies that are just now beginning to resemble what you'd pick up in one gallon pots from the local nursery. You get what you pay for. I learned that quick. The plants from the online companies will grow but be prepared to wait - a looooong time. Paying a little more at the local nursery or big box store is worth it.

One plant I do really like getting from the online companies is hostas. I bought about 60 of them from one company 5 year ago and what I got looked like 60 little parsnips. I plugged them in the ground and now these things are like monsters. I'm going to start dividing them this fall. Not bad for about a buck a piece. But again, patience was key.

I appreciate the post, but these were not seeds. I have heard of Park Seeds, but wanted to try already grown or small plants.

I had a good experience with tomato plants last spring from Jung Seeds. had to keep them in cups for 3 weeks in the windowsill, but it was too early to plant when they arrived anyway so it worked out well.

Okay... What you got are bare root trees... You wouldn't want them to have leaves. They are kept dormant and cool when they are shipped to you so their nutrient needs are extremely low.

When you plant them spread out the roots and use a nice tree fertilizer, or get something that has high phosphorous (Like a bloom plus fertilizer you'd use for the flower garden)

The tree will come out of dormancy and begin growing.

If it doesn't most reputable bareroot dealers have a warranty program for the first year. (I don't know about burpee or jung) But I use a smaller vendor Stark Bros (Which has a guarantee) and I've never had a problem.

In fact this year's order is doing too good!