• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electronics question (humminbird/lowrance)

Gopher_Guy

Question

I just got a new (to me) boat. It has a Lowrance Elite-5 on the dash with one of the chips (I think it's Lakemaster). Last year I bought an 898 Humminbird and I want that graph on this boat I just bought. I have the Lakemaster for that one too.

What I'm trying to figure out is if it is worth it to sell this Lowrance and get one of the cheaper Humminbird HD models (778 HD or 788 HD) so I can network them? Or should I just keep it, put the 898 on the bow and be done with it?

3 answers to this question

you can try it with the Lowrance to see if you like it. the Lowrance is used so using it wont hurt the value of it. and if you hate it change it out. you might save some money for your next fishing trip. good luck

Depends on your fishing style.

If it was me, i'd just put the lowrance on the bow for now and let my guests use it to see the map, or if the trolling motor is down, and you hook this lowrance into the trolling motor then your guest can see sonar too.

But,

If you like fishing on the bow of the boat. Then i'd mount your 898 by your wheel and buy a cheaper HB for the bow, and link them so you have all your waypoints shared.

Congrats on the new boat.

Exactly as stated above. If you want your maps linked to share info then you don't have much of a choice. If your fishing style dosen't need to be exactly that accurate you can get by without linking them.

I have had boats with both linked and non linked sonars and find the networked units to be way easier to fish with.

Is your 898 ethernet compatable? (does it have the silver round connector on the back?) If it is, then networking them together is just an etherne cable away. Real easy.

Here a link to Pro Fishing Supply (site sponsor) and their HB 788 and their accessories. You don't need any of the switches, just the ethernet cable. http://www.profishingsupply.com/combos/humminbird_788c.htm

http://www.profishingsupply.com/combos/humminbird_accessories.htm