• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Better option: old high quality body vs. new entry level body

I am currently using a Canon Powershot SX10is but would like to upgrade due to slow shutter response, low light capability, etc. My question is, would I be better off getting a used camera body or a newer entry level camera body and then get good lenses for it? I saw a wonderful post here that indicated a person could get a great value and good camera system by combining a used Canon 30d or 40d body with better lenses or would a newer entry level body combined with better lenses be the way to go? I am assuming the new entry level cameras may have some of the qualities found in the older high quality bodies. Would this be true? Additionlly, if I get an older body how do I tell how many shutter releases have occurred?

I will be using the camera system for nature/wildlife photos, some little league pictures, and portraits with my strobes and umbrellas. As such, what lens recommendations do you feel would work. I am on a self imposed budget. I forsee low light capabilty and show speed to stop motion. I am confused on all the acronyms AF,IS,EF yada-yada-yada. I feel I do not want kit lenses. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Let me try and address a few of your questions. Used camera bodies can be a great value but it is entirely possible an entry level body will be more than sufficient as well. There are older used cameras out there that you can get prosumer or pro features for close to the cost of a newer entry level body. I will speak to Canon since that is my current system. Unless you buy a 1 series body you really have no accurate way of telling how many actuation's the camera has. Suffice it to say that in most cases it will not be large concern. I concentrate on sports and shoot a relatively high volume of photos per year and I can say that even one of my couple year old bodies will still have over half of the rated shutter actuation's available when it is sold.

There are no guarantees either, I replaced the shutter on a Mark IIN with only 55,000 actuation's on it. That camera was rated for 250,000. In all honesty most folks will never have to worry about that being a large issue. I think you are on the right track when you talk about spending money on better lenses. But let me also say until you start shooting and figure out just what your needs for glass will be I would not be in any hurry to run out and buy expensive lenses. Even many of the entry level lenses do a very nice job of producing quality work. Once you shoot for a while and become a bit more experienced with what type of results you need from your work be satisfied with starting with entry level glass. Learn the capabilities of your camera and lenses and you will be able to easily determine what type of higher quality lens will fit your shooting needs.

You have the same requirements that everyone starting out with a DSLR has. You want to be able to shoot long distances for wildlife, low light capabilities for sports, and portrait length lenses. The honest answer is there is no one or two lenses that will do all of those things for you at a reasonable cost. They all have shortcomings as an all in one lens. There is a reason there is such a wide range of lenses available and often many of them will cost a pretty penny. You will find that each of those areas will have specific lenses that will be the best fit. Again you do not need to have top of the line equipment to produce quality results.

Take your time, there are a few good sites that have been previously mentioned in this forum for used equipment, there are a number of good places to buy new equipment. A self imposed budget is a good thing when starting out. I allows you to make better decisions and gives you time to determine what will work best for you and your future photography. Keep asking questions as you narrow down your choices. Good luck and welcome to the forum!