• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda ATV Help

Crappie Rage

These all sound like symptoms of a machine that doesnt get used frequently. Is that the case?

I think the carb being cleaned would cure the starting and idling problem and if it has enough mile or hours on it, a valve adjustment would be needed. The shifting issue can be related to either a low battery voltage, too heavy of oil for the current temperatures, or maybe a bad angle sensor for the transmission. A good warm up will usually help shifting if the sensor is ok, although if the idle is too high it will not allow it to shift properly. I'd offer to do it but I'm quite a ways from Dakota county.

You are right, it does not get used alot. And the idle was high the last time I used it, but not the time before. What causes the idle to go too high?

I have not had it serviced in a couple years. Should I? Or just figure out the idle and use it more often?

Using it more is always good even if it doesnt make it run better. laugh

Dont forget to take a look at the air cleaner! Are you sure the choke is releasing all the way when you push in the knob? If not, that will cause the idle to stay higher and run rougher too. If it is, then its probably going to need the carb cleaned, which should result in being able to have a smoother and lower idle which in turn may clear up the shifting issue.

I suppose you could try some seafoam and running it more, but actually physically cleaning the carb would be a better way to go.

Also if you are going to use it and/or store it in low temps a lower viscosity oil would aid in starting and shifting and a battery maintainer when not in use will keep it up to where it should be.

The thing is I'm not guessing, if it is a 2007 Honda Foreman it is indeed a carbureted motor. They didnt make Foreman's with fuel injection until this year (2012)

I noticed you said Foreman maybe so if it is a Rancher or Rincon that is another story.

This info below is straight from the Honda HSOforum.

2007 Honda

FourTrax Foreman 500 4x4

Single-cylinder 4-stroke

475cc

92mm x 71.5mm

Air cooled

36mm CV This means it is a 36mm constant velocity carb, not fuel injection.

Here is a picture showing the choke location on a Foreman.

full-8254-14853-choke.jpg