• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Let's talk GAUGES!!! What else should I have besides...

Moose-Hunter

Gauges folks!! Nice shiney, white faced, Teleflex Lido E-Lectronic gauges! grin

I currently have a typical 4 gauge cluster. Speedo (3"), tach (3"), fuel and volts both 2"). I have openings for 2 more smaller gauges. One will be a trim/tilt. The other... Well... I'm not so sure. I have my choice of the following:

- Hourmeter

- Oil Pressure

- Water Pressure

- Water Temperature (I suspect they mean the water circulated in the engine.)

Of the 4 listed above. Which do you think would be the most useful and why...

Thanks!!

is there a purpose to the hour meter outside of when you are selling your boat and you can tell the buyer how few hours you have on the motor? For maintenance stuff?

I've always wondered how accurate the speedos really are. Looked at some of the mechanical things to measure it and I don't really buy it.

I've got no gauges other than a trim/tilt, but I wish I had a battery meter and a tach.

I think I would go with oil pressure. Water pressure should be fine if you see the motor peeing. if it's peeing, new water is going in and coming out so I wouldn't be that concerned about the temp. Like I said, I don't get the hour meter, so that leaves me with oil pressure.

Hours you can pull off the motor when checked, spedo you have a GPS for that, volt meter only shows you it's putting out charge.I would go with the water pressure, thats the gauge I look at the most anyway. As for why, sometimes you cant see the stream in the dark or any flucuation in pressure your guage will tell you, hard to judge force of the stream....

Hours you can pull off the motor when checked, spedo you have a GPS for that, volt meter only shows you it's putting out charge.I would go with the water pressure, thats the gauge I look at the most anyway. As for why, sometimes you cant see the stream in the dark or any flucuation in pressure your guage will tell you, hard to judge force of the stream....

good points

OIL PRESSURE! Water. All the rest-except voltmeter- are so erratic and error prone they are often useless......especially FUEL gauges!

Look......outboard motors are creations of the Devil. Gauges are his little helpers.