• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mystery Bird

The Grebe

I was comming back from doing a small job over in N.E. Mpls. this morning and I was in the area of Columbia Golf Course and St. Anthony.

A small bird flew in front of my truck and landed in the bushes off the road, it was about the size of a sparrow or a finch, maybe even a little smaller, except it was a bright blue?

It wasn't a blue bird per se, I've seen those before and it was much smaller. This is getting kind of tricky, but other then the bluebirds I've never seen a blue bird, other then the little blue bird I seen today?

Anyone have any idea of what it might have been, considering the sketchy discription I gave?

Mark and Jim, thanks for the input, I'll bet that is exactly what it was? What else could it be? Are the males smaller then the females, or vice versa? Also, would this area I seen them in be part of their normal range?

You know, I've hunted and fished alot over the years, ran long traplines and work outdoors....funny I have never seen one of those pretty little buggers before? Wouldn't mind seeing one again.

Male and female indigo buntings are the same size, but as is the norm with many species in the bird world the male is much brighter. You are within the normal range of the species. But I've noticed they aren't always found in the same areas year to year, so it's not necessarily a surprise that you saw them now without seeing them before.

They are migrants that only nest in Minnesota, too, so you won't see them between October and April/May.

You know, I've hunted and fished alot over the years, ran long traplines and work outdoors....funny I have never seen one of those pretty little buggers before? Wouldn't mind seeing one again.

So would I grin

I have seen them twice in my life and that is really is not enough.

I saw a couple flitting around on the ground by the feeder earlier this year. Haven't seem them since early June though. The MN river valley wildlife refuge is just across the street from my house so I get a lot of wildlife for living out in the burbs.