• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird 788ci loosing bottom at high speed.Tranducer mount problem?

ND4LIFE

Installed my first fishfinder last week and ran it for the first time on the water on Sunday. I completely removed the old Lowrance X65 with a new Humminbird 788ci. I've never mounted a transducer on a boat so I tried to utilize the previous mount position as much as I could. I used one of the previous holes as I couldn't use them both for the new mount pattern. The unit seems to read the bottom fine until I start to go above 20 MPH or so. I uploaded some pics to a web album: https://picasaweb.google.com/2005T4R/Transducer?authkey=Gv1sRgCO204OD3hbmDcA&feat=directlink Anything look particularly wrong? Any tips? Thanks!

The one thing I see for sure is that the duce might be mounted too low. As far as I know, the only problems this might cause is a rooster tail when you're at speed, and more exposure to getting taken off by "stuff."

It also looks like the bottom face of the ducer might be angled slightly back if the boat is on plane. If that's the case, the signal would be missing the ducer after that signal bounces off the bottom and returns, and the ducer has moved ahead.

So, look for rooster tails if they bug you, and you might try angling the bottom face (or the back) of the ducer forward and down. Other than that, it looks good. Did you remember to waterproof all the holes in the hull?

I hope you can get this thing dialed in quickly, it can be frustrating when you'd rather be fishing.

Tom.

Had the boat out on the water this evening. Before putting it in I moved the tranducer angle down so it pointed more forward. Seems to be reading bottom better at high speed. Have to get it out some more to make sure. Thanks for the tip!