• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leveling yard with heavy clay?

jparrucci

I have a yard that is very heavy in clay and does not drain well. After heavy rains I have pools of water in the yard. My yard is also very very bumpy, especially for a level lot. I have a couple of spots that are a good 6-10 inches lower than others just a foot away. When walking through these areas even when it is dry out, you sink an inch into the soil. If there are some really low spots, would it be wise to dump a couple of inches of sand, then another couple of inches of new black dirt and replant? Should I take out the existing grass first or could I do this right over the top of the grass that is there if I am doing over 6 or so inches of new soil/sand. Any other options for smaller spots in the yard as well, as I have TONS of areas that are really bumpy that I shovel or two of sand/dirt would seem to be a decent fix. My lawnmower is taking a beating!

I would shy away from sand. I am surprised you have grass to mow. Typically clay soil like you had will just leave your yard well wet..... Add sand to that equation you're creating the same problem the you have. The water will drain through the sand and then sit on the clay. Plus grass wont grow very will in sand.

If it were me, I would do an over haul of the yard. Remove some clay and bring in lots of black dirt.

However, you are just semi masking the problem, but the problem would be under neath further. While doing this I would recommend changing slopes and adding some type of drainage to get that water out after heavy rains.

"Plus grass wont grow very will in sand"?

Come out to my place and look at my lawn and tell me "grass wont grow very well in sand". My yard is completely sand and the grass is growing quite well. I believe grass grows better in sand. deeper roots, less compaction.

My plan was to fill the low spots with sand, then put a couple of inches of new black dirt over that. I would think that the water would drain slowly through the dirt, into the sand, and then to the clay. The majority of the water would be below the ground surface 6-10 inches, at least that is how it is working in my mind anyways. Grass is growing in the yard just fine. Biggest problem is that it is so uneven, and because of how soft the ground is it gets tore up so easily by me, dog, deer, etc. I figured if I can at least take care of the really low spots first, at leat I will be making progress. I don't have anything close to budget for a entire yard overhaul with new dirt and sod.

Personally, to fill in the low spots, I would consider mixing the sand with black dirt about 50/50 or even using more sand 70/30.

Is what I have done and what I would recommend to fill your low spots is mix your sand and black dirt in wheel barrow, toss in a few hand fulls of seed and mix well again. Then go and fill your low spots, pack the fill gently with foot. add more fill if needed and smooth out. move on to next low spot.

"Plus grass wont grow very will in sand"?

Come out to my place and look at my lawn and tell me "grass wont grow very well in sand". My yard is completely sand and the grass is growing quite well. I believe grass grows better in sand. deeper roots, less compaction.

Mixed with dirt, maybe. Pure sand? doubt it.