• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rabbits

pascooter94

whats out there to keep them from digging under my deck?

did the paint balls on them trying to keep them away and it did work until the police came and said not to shoot them with it,told them that i was not killing them out of season with the bb gun!they did not think that was funny so know what to use ?

Taking a nuisance animal

Nuisance animals are wildlife (not domesticated animals like dogs or cats) that cause property damage. Some animals which are normally protected by Minnesota Statute can be taken without a license or permit if they are doing damage. The animals included under this provision of Minnesota law include: mink, squirrels, rabbit, hare, raccoon, lynx, bobcat, fox, muskrat, opossum and beaver. Other unprotected birds include the English sparrow, starling, and common pigeon. All of these animals may be taken by the landowner, manager or occupant if the animal is causing property damage.

When taking protected nuisance animals, notify a Conservation Officer within 24 hours. Please refer any inquiries you may have regarding this list to the DNR Information Center. What does "taking" mean? Taking means capturing, relocating or killing a nuisance animal. This can be done in any manner except by the use of poison, artificial lights or with a motor vehicle. The most common methods for taking an animal would be with a firearm or bow and arrow. These methods, however, cannot be used everywhere. A person should consult local laws before applying controls.

In many urban areas or areas regulated by local ordinance, an individual may be restricted to live trapping. Many of the pages here will give suggestions as to how this is best accomplished. Once the animal is caught, a person may choose to destroy or relocate the animal. If one chooses to relocate a captured wild animal, it should be relocated 10 to 15 miles from where it was captured in order to ensure that it does not return. It is necessary to obtain permission from the governing agency or landowner before releasing the animal. Remember to consult local laws before applying controls.

put some chicken wire under ground up to the deck.. this probably wont stop them but it will delay them. They bite anything, they have to or their teeth would grow to long. I had a gf who had a pet rabbit. it would chew threw every electrical cord in the house. I was hoping for days that I would come home to fried rabbit so the slaughter of all my electronics would end. It never happened instead I hit the road and now I can eat rabbit again with out getting into trouble.

Last year I put a garden "Out Back" where I knew I already had a rabbit problem. That garden was all carrots, peas, beets, radishes... All stuff rabbits LOVE.

I took a 4 foot high section of chickenwire. Fencing stapled it on the bottom to some 1X2's... And burried it a foot deep.

I could go out there at dusk and just watch a dozen rabbits staring at my succulent little root vegetables with utter contempt.

Over the course of the season there were several attempted incursions by the rabbits, but all failed. One Gopher seemed to get in there early in the season... But I filled his hole and never saw evidence of him again.

If you know anyone that raises rabbits the manure works well to keep them out also. Plus added nutrients to the soil. They must have some territorial issues with it. We did this with my parents garden and never had problems with rabbits. The neighbors found out and soon they were asking for buckets of rabbit manure (we raised some as kids) and did not have any problems in theirs either.

Chicken wire doesn't have the most appealing appearance. If you don't want chicken wire surrounding the deck, take the wire or mesh of some sort and lay on the ground under the deck and peg it in. That way they can't dig.

Get some rabbit blood from a garden shop and put it around where they're digging.

Do you mean blood meal? Can't say that I've looked but I sort of wonder where they'd get enough rabbit blood. I think that blood meal is made from the packing house blood. It used to be a good product for some uses but I have read that they process it with a lot of heat now and so it has lost a lot of the value it previously had.