• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How high?

musky hunter

Although I haven't deer hunted much. I have been successful a few times. I own a climbing stand, and also have used ladder stands, and just flat out climbed up a tree and sat in the tree. I have never even seen deer close enough when I am sitting in a stand. I myself as well have had the best luck hunting deer on the ground. I love to stalk big game, and that how I do my deer hunting.

My first stalk was with a bow. It was a cold rainy fall night, the misquotes were horrible. I couldn't sit still in my stand so I climbed down and started walking and came across 3 does eating in a field just before legal shooting hours where about up. I had been stalking these deer for a good 20 minutes before I got close enough. Got about 15 yards away using tall grass as my cover and was able to peg a nice doe!

My quickest hunt was during shotgun season. I came out the the hunting land and cooked the land owner some venison steak, We at lunch together and than I headed out on the land and started walking the trails the deer/me made. With in ten minutes I had stumbled across a doe and a buck laying down together. Stood them up and took the buck! Big body, 9 pointer (one in my picture)

To this day I have still never seen a buck come anywhere close when in my stands. I just prefer the stalk method as it is more productive for me.

I mostly use ladder stands and they are typically 15 ft up. its hard to find a good tree for the climber plus the fact i can get a ladder stand for 60$ helps too. I will be buying two more next summer and using them just as extra ladder sections for the ones i already have. making them 20 ft high. I dont put stands in open oak ridges or open aspen so cover isnt a problem and 15 ft works fine for me. the only reason i am going higher is visibility

I do take sections from another ladder and up my 15ft to a 20ft stand but the problem is the support in the middle isn't getting used properly and can make for a shacky hang or climb when initially put up the stand. But when in a 20ftr I do not stand to shoot, I'm kind of a chicken @#$.

mr