• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to go about selling an outboard

Hory

I purchased a boat that was completely redone by someone on this very forum and it has been great. However, I upgraded the older outboard from a 1977 evinrude 15hp shortshaft to a 1999 mercury 15hp with electric start. There isn't much wrong with the older motor, but how do I know what it is worth? What is the best way to get rid of it? I am very new to selling anything fishing or outdoor related (usually what I purchase is mine for good.)Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Outboards are like anything else you can get what ever someone else wants to pay.I deal in used as a side job buy, repair, sell.I buy the cheap ones, I can buy one for 200 that someone else has the same make model and year but want 700.Not a big market for 15 and smaller used and aged.above 25 is a good used market.anyway thats what I find.Look at the common sales places online and get a idea.Bad season to sell its a buyers season right now,you will get a faster sale in spring and better price when people are looking to the season ahead.

In your opinion...am I better off winterizing both motors and selling the older one in spring? I have been given some offers, however I feel what you say is definately worth considering as far as waiting for spring.

I am really just looking to get rid of it. I really have no idea on price. Cosmetically it is good shape...with just the usual small marks and scrapes. The prop is in good shape and has no damage. The skag is clean and never rebuilt. It looks pretty clean inside, I have never had any issues with the motor not being reliable. Water pump seems to be decent. The only thing is that a couple of the teeth in the throttle control/tiller arm are rounded off.