• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to Install a Boat Drain Plug

duck2

Hello i just purchased an old vintage 1960's Lonestar aluminum 12 foot boat which does not have a drain plug. I would like to install one, but am very apprehensive at the thought of drilling a hole in the boat. Does anyone have any experience doing this and can offer any tips on drain plug kits and/or installing them?

Thanks

This type would be used on a V-hull through the transom dead center. Nomally you see these on glass boats.

Could be used in your application though. I'd use a rubber gasket between the flange and hull.

full-831-692-3160040c.jpg

This kit would be used on the transom. Use drill a 1" hole and set the flange. Mark your two holes for the screws. Remove the flange, center punch your marks and drill. Set the flange into silicon.

full-831-693-drainplug.jpg

Those will be the easiest to install... they also make a variety where you drill the hole (like above) and use to sleeves that get pulled together to make a more "typical" looking drain plug hole... but the tool to install that is around $35 plus the sleeve to do it. If that's the method you're interested in I'd check with a dealer.

marine_man

Thanks for all the replies. I think the black plastic kit in Surface Tension's post would be something I am comfortable installing. The boat does not leak, but I would still like a drain plug so I could leave it stored on the shore, drain plug removed without overturning the boat.

I put the black plastic one in a 14" alum boat. totally easy, just a dab of silicone on backing and a 1" hole and I was set smile I used SS bolts to hold it on. Key thing - you will want a screen of soome sort to keep debris away. Mine got leaves and crub built up and plugged the hole, keeping water in. Good luck.

oh yeah, they are like $5 or something totally inexpensive at Gander...

I will definitely turn it upside down for winter storage. Thanks BoxMN for your testimonial. I ordered one today over the internet. i actually ordered 2, as I will use one in an old metal four legged soda pop cooler that currently has no drainage.