• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Lawn mower problem

MinnesotaMike

I have a 12.5 hp B&S on a Murray lawn mower.

I have cut the grass three times this year and I went out last night to give it a cut before the long weekend.

Jump on it and try to start it, doesn't start. I notice gas misting out of the exhaust. I take the spark plug out and clean it up, test for spark, we're good to go.

Put the spark plug in and it starts but kind of runs rough.

I drive it out of the shed, engage the blades and go about 6 feet when I get a huge plume of smoke and the engine quits. It did not turn over when I hit the key so I didn't force it. I took the spark plug out and it turned over fine, not siezed I'm thinking.

I did notice ALOT of gas in my oil. Before the last mowing I put Stabil in the gas and cut the grass.

Any ideas what caused this?

Any ideas on how to fix it?

I'm thinking about changing the oil and trying to get it going but I'm worried about the gas in the oil, I must have a leak somewhere??? Head gasket? Last year I had a new Strator put on.

I'm lost.

Mike

mine did the same last year and my carbertor was letting gas leak threw while sitting.. I installed a gas shut-off on gas line,just shut off gas when yur done mowing.. I was told that or rebuild carburator..good luck,oh and change the oil..

It sound like your gas float in the carb is stuck. You may have to take it to a repair shop to have it replaced or dislodged. I would for sure change the oil, because the extra gas in the oil will break the oil down and damage the engin and in addition to that it will cause you oil to be overfilled. DO NOT RUN IT!

mine did the same last year and my carbertor was letting gas leak threw while sitting.. I installed a gas shut-off on gas line,just shut off gas when yur done mowing.. I was told that or rebuild carburator..good luck,oh and change the oil..

I did the exact same thing last year to mine.