• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Platform training?

Jordyn Kaufer

this is good training for a waterfowl dog. Teaches them to jump onto and stay on some sort of a platform(dog dock, front of boat, dog tree stand, or muskrat mound). also helps with commanding the dog into the back of the truck to stay put, and anywhere else you may want your dog to stay. i think it would be good training for taking the dog in the fishing boat as well, to stay on the casting deck away from lures or other troublesome things. hope this helps, highly recommend this type of training for any dog.

SIT MEANS SIT regardless of where the dog is at. I'm not sure you need a platform to teach that.

I'd look at it as a "tool". There's lots of ways to train a dog that will be successful. This is one tool to help, but it's not a necessity.

I know the guys I train Springers with use it when steadying their dogs. They use the word "place" as the command - then toss dead birds over their heads and having other dogs retrieve them instead.

Maybe some of my Springer buddies can chime in here and correct some things...

I asked the trainer that question. Nate is pretty close. Another reason is that you can get a better view of the condition of your dog without bending way down. It also helps with getting your dog in the truck. Its a general good tool for many commands

I don't know about retrievers but for pointers they put'em on the table to take them out of their element (the ground) and make them more dependent on you. Plus it gives you more control of the dog.

What type of platform? Willow Creek Kennels has a few videos about teaching the whoa command and using a board/elevated platform to reinforce the command. You can see the vidoes on youtube.

Maybe I'm missing this one entirely.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

There are a number of uses for a board or short platform.

The general idea to start is to give them a treat when they get all of their paws on the platform. A friend helping get your dog on the short platform is preferred and say place once all paws are on it and reward as you are saying it.

You will eventually get a dog that craves getting on the board when you say place. The board helped a lot with delivery to hand for me. My dog was antsy at delivery and the board has helped reduce that.

Some use it for steadying and even quartering.

Generally there are negative consequences for going off the board without permission.

Now if youare talking about a raised platform that is generally to confine the dog and make it easier to deal with a dog - not having to bend down and deal with a very mobile animal.

We have used a Ruff Stand by Avery with good results in sloughs. It is collapsible and easy to carry. Keeps the dog out of the water and steadies

him by limiting options of moving around.Legs extend to about 3' of water, works well.

Posts above note the value of control with a raised platform. I can get my Lab much more focused while using the platform and recommend for multiple retrieves. When he gets back on platform between doubles, it forces him to look to the next bird after holding first, then a release.As indicated a "tool" vs the only answer...