• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying seeds and garden things

givetoget

I like Jung seeds google it. There cheaper,sell home sized packs,and have a great selection.

I should also add this time of year any where you order you'll have a wait! should have ordered a month ago if your planning on indoor starting seeds.

Menards,Kmart,walMart stores like these all have seeds if you want them now.

I like 4seasons nursuries for seeds and a variety of plants I can't get at the local nursury. With online, mail order nursuries, however, understand what you're getting. It's often not lower quality than the local nursury but the plants aren't as far along. For instance, I might spend $6-8 on a small but decent-sized hosta at the local nursury that looks great the first year. The mail order nursery hosta only costs $2 or less by comparison but its basically a root that won't show much green the first year. Still, if you're patient and can wait two years, the mail order hosta catches up to the one from the local nursery. And its about a fourth the price.

I shop the local nursery when I want instant results and for a variety of plants I can't get mail order. Plus certain things like trees I have more luck with through them. Good luck!

Gardening for me is as much a Passion as it is a hobby.

I tend to look for Seed Exchanges, where I can buy Heirloom seeds, and then grow them under my grow lights, in south facing windows, or in the windows of my wood heated fish house.

I always end up with more plants than I can plant myself, so then I give plants away to family and friends, or just sell them to my neighbors for cheaper than the garden store.

The two top criteria I always look at is:

1. I always grow heirloom or open pollenators. The agricultural practices and the state of hybridization these days has us (I believe) on the brink of a multi-plant species damaging event much like the irish potato famine. (Such as past summer's problems with Salmonella finding a way into tomatoes and peppers!)

Heirlooms don't have the almost clone-like shared weaknesses of Hybrids... AND I can save the seeds from my best plants and grow even better ones the next year.

2. I grow in concert, not competition with the Grocery store.

For instance... A garden fresh green pepper and a Grocery store green pepper are the same taste wise... And the one in your garden will come ripe at the same time when peppers are cheap in the grocery store. Same is rather true with sweet corn. (Assuming you know of a fresh local stand)

But when you look at Garden fresh Juicy heirloom Tomato... Which I can grow for around 50 cents a pound (Depending on breed, as I grow 6 different varieties). They are 1/4 the price of store bought toms, and twice the quality. And while the H-Toms might have a little more cracking and shorter shelf life, they also aren't going to give you salmonella.

wink

Same with Heirloom beets, snap peas, and especially Fresh herbs.

For Heirloom seeds I go to Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.