• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie fishing help

eckum54

i don't have a vexlar and i wanted to do some crappie fishing at a near by pond which i know they are present in...i know the structure of the pond...but any suggestions as to know at about what depth they are suspended?

Go to the deepest hole of the pond and drop down to about a foot off the bottom. Maybe set the other at like 2-3 feet off. If you still don't get anything just work your way up the column until you start getting hits. Maybe put a set line at 1-2 feet off then take a jigging spoon with a minnow head and work the column slowly till you find 'em. Good luck!

It's always best to work high to low in the column. Crappies rarely feed down but will go up several feet to feed. I have had them come up 10' to hit a jig. Start halfway down the column and work your way down. Since you can use two lines, set one half way down and then drop the second one halfway between your first line and bottom. Work both lines down a foot at a time until you are 1' from bottom. If the fish are there and active, you'll get something. You may want to try one line with a minnow and one with a waxie.