• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Ways to Learn

Hi all you fisherwomen out there! Got a question for you. I need to teach a woman to fish for Bass. She fishs already but has never specifically targeted Bass. We will be entering some tourneys this coming spring and summer. What is your opinion on what was easiest for you to learn and what was hardest? Do any of the women out there have any suggestions on how to approach this? I have taught a lot of kids to fish adn continue to do so but I have never really tackled an adult. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Chevy

Happy Fishing smile.gif

Hi Chevy, Good question. I'd sugested spending the winter watching some Bass fishing vidio tapes. Make sure she has a good rod and reel to fish with. After that it just getting out there and doing it. My biggest problem is to remember to keep an eye on my line so I don't get a big mess. Maybe some books on Bass fishing and magizine articles. For me the best way to learn some thing is to just get out there and do it. Lots of casting practice. If she fishes already and this is some thing that she wants to do she will pick it up easy as any body else. And don't get mad when she out fishes you grin.gif
<><Mary><>

chevy one thing i found out ; is every time you have her use a different type of lure or presentation. explain what it is suppose to mimic and how it should feel while using, and what a hit will feel like.( a light hit, a bump, slam or just a bit of extra weight!) Mary is right. be shure she has the proper equipement for the types of fishing and that it is good shape. most gals i have delt with pick up on these things fast. and seem to have a better feel for the lure than many men. del

Hey thanks! Any Other Suggestions?

I have been teaching this 11 yr old to fish for bass. Cranks, Worms, Tubes and all the other fun stuff. You don't find very many 11 yr olds with the patience he has. Anyway the last couple of times we were out he out fished me BAD! smile.gif He has come a long way and it was fun to see him catching so many fish. I still hear about the couple times he beat me. hahaha He's a Good Kid though. So I am well prepared to get outfished!
I'll have to tell ya a story some time of the last girlfriend I had!
Later
Chev

I agree with Mary and del. I like videos better than magazines because they hold my interest better and I can rewind and watch them over and over. But I have always learned better by listening than reading.

Another thing I really enjoy is the presentations that the pros give at the sport shows. These are really interesting.

Just don't treat her like she is an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly if she asks a question and listen when she talks and smile when she out fishes you even using all the wrong things and you will be fine.

And I am waiting for that story! grin.gif

------------------
Phyl

Hey thanks,

Ok, Story Time.

I taught an old girlfriend to fish and she really liked it. So I hooked her up with all the stuff she needed. Taught her to throw cranks, worm, tubes and all that other fun stuff. So we went to the Whitefish Chain in the Brainerd area to fish for the weekend. We were catch lots of fish but nothing with any size. Well we approached this weedbed and I threw my worm in and pulled out a nice 4#er. Well she looked at me and told me she was gonna catch one of those. I smiled and sort of chuckled to myself thinking "yeah right!". Well she was fishing with a small floating shallow running rap. She fired the lure at the weedbed but over shot it badly. The lure landed about a foot from the shoreline. I was in the process of telling her that she probably was not gonna catch anything that close to shore when all of the sudden a big bass busted outta the water and took the lure! At that exact moment it must of looked like world war 3 in the boat. She was yelling cause she had a fish on and I was tearing through the boat for the net. Well after a good fight she pulled it up to the boat and I netted it. 6.2 # was the final weight! I was in amazement how could a bass that big be in water so shallow. Darn thing must have been laying sideways! grin.gif
Well she told that story about a 100 thousand times after that. I was happy for her. It was a really nice fish. That is my story of one of the many times I got out fished! smile.gif

Happy Fishing smile.gif

chev

Nice story, Chev. I had a dog named Chevy, once. She was a pund find and a wreck. I named her chevy 'cause she ran good, but needed work.

Anyway, my son (4) outfishes me all the time. It's Neptune's way of keeping us humble when we start to think we're "all that".

Hardest thing for me to learn from trout to bass, and probably from walleye/panfish to bass too, is that little window of time for the hookset. Most other species she's probably fished for do a little 'nibble-nibble-wander off' or a 'slam-it's-me!', but that bucketmouth's 'inhale-think-exhale' is a thing unto itself.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC