• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planter Boxes

jhol

Anybody build one of these. I have started a pretty big raised planter box that is going to go next to my paver patio over some landscape rock. It is going to be for flowers, maybe a few choice vegetables and herbs. I was wondering how you finish the interior. I am using all cedar, it will be about 4'x8'x16" deep with a raised section inside that is about 16" taller that is 2'x4'. All this will be about 2' off the ground. How do you finish the inside, can it just be cedar? Do I need drainage holes? Should I wrap the interior in plastic?

Any info would be appreciated. If anyone is interested I can post pics as I go.

Thanks

Jon

My parents have always just used green treated lumber for these types of products.

They don't put any plastic inside, nor do they "finish" the inside.

I suppose if you're a stickler for "neat" and would want to finish off the inside down to dirt level and leave the rest..... it's going to be covered in dirt anyways.

I wouldn't use any plastic, but then again I'm used to building them out of green treated lumber, and not cedar

Thanks for the response, I am going to work some more on it this weekend and I will post some pictures and see if that gets a little more feedback

I am not worried about ruining the cedar wood I was just concerned about losing too much moisture out the bottom or if the plastic might hold to much moisture inside it. Like I said I will post some pics when I am a little further along.

Jon

Here's how I'd go at it, which is how I see a few at the properties around.

Find yourself a plastic planter, which you can plant inside. Then build the cedar box around the planter, so it dresses up the look from outside.

Either that, or line it with plastic but not the bottom. This will protect the outsides from abundant constant moisture, but it can still drain out the bottom.