• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few questions for all the coyote hunters out there.

Deer hunting is a sport done during day-light hours, why are we not allowed to use a large caliber rifle to hunt state-wide? I believe it is a safety issue. A more dense population combined with a lack of trees and hills to stop the projectile. Shooting a coyote with a large caliber rifle will not stop the bullet at the target. The bullet will pass through.

Target shooting is a different story, you stage the shot and can be sure that your back-stop is going to stop your bullet.

So if all I have is a 30-06 rifle to hunt with would someone think that it is all right to use that rifle to hunt squirrels?

Deer hunting is a sport done during day-light hours, why are we not allowed to use a large caliber rifle to hunt state-wide? I believe it is a safety issue. A more dense population combined with a lack of trees and hills to stop the projectile. Shooting a coyote with a large caliber rifle will not stop the bullet at the target. The bullet will pass through.

Target shooting is a different story, you stage the shot and can be sure that your back-stop is going to stop your bullet.

So if all I have is a 30-06 rifle to hunt with would someone think that it is all right to use that rifle to hunt squirrels?

Are you asking why you can't use rifles for deer hunting in certain areas but you can for coyotes? If so, I guess the only reason I can think of is because there's so many people out during deer season that the amount of lead flying would be crazy if rifles were used. On the other hand, not many people are out coyote hunting.

No matter where you are, you still have to be responsible for yourself and where you're shooting.

I've never hunted where I have to use a shotgun so I can't say what it's like.

If so, I guess the only reason I can think of is because there's so many people out during deer season that the amount of lead flying would be crazy if rifles were used. On the other hand, not many people are out coyote hunting.

I do not see where that pail holds water. Just because someone has not put it on black and white that you should not do something, it is alright to do? I do not believe that the number of participants in an activity is the sole reason to judge whether it is safe to do or not.

Coyote hunting is just starting to grow into a new sport extending the time someone can be out hunting. How soon we forget that last winter one hunter was fatally wounded by a fellow hunter. If so few people hunt coyotes, why did this happen? As I recall a large caliber rifle was involved.

The main point I would like to get across here is that if someone wants to experience coyote hunting, go out and hunt with responsible hunters using the right equipment for the region they are in. Do not take short cuts and use overpowered firearms which are not recommended for use in those regions for any type of hunting. Hunting and shooting targets are TWO different sports. Target shooting is a controlled sport (fixed target and known back-stop). Hunting has many variables standing or moving targets and possible unknown back-stops.

Our legislators may overreact if we give them a reason. And they could turn a possible fun sport into another over-restrictive how do I legally do sport.

I think the fatality you are referring to happened when where guys pushing a section for coyotes to posters just like a deer drive which carries the potential of being dangerous.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most predator hunters are using ballistic tip type ammo which often will not exit the animal or disintegrate upon impacting the ground/branches etc.

You can use a 30.06 if you choose, but I would suggest a smaller caliber to keep the pelt damage down. Unless you're out there just to make a kill & leave it lay. Personally I use a 22.250 or shotgun depending on the set, I try to keep the pelt damage down to a minimum so we can trade 'em in & help pay for the gas try'n to support our addiction!!

It's a fun demanding sport, don't give up. ><>

If you were going to a shotgun for yotes, what size shot works for selling the pelts? I don't skin the pelts, don't wanted to have pelts full of holes either?

I use dead coyote, and have absolute no pelt damage. I use to use 00buck, lead BB, all with no problems with the pelt