• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tungsten

ikeslayer

So do we have any hardcore tungsten people on here. If so what is your favorite brand and what are the goods and bads of brands you have tried. Sure is expensive and i feel like everytime i tie one on the northerns just know. thanks for your help. ike

I am slowly growing my Tungsten weight collection. I use Tru-Tungsten and the ONLY dissadvantage to it over lead is the price. The weights are smaller and more sensitive. I have tried Lake Fork in the past and had some issues with line breakage, but I think they have solved that now. I like TT because they have more shapes and colors and are more available most places you go. Those that have not tried tungsten, I highly recommend it. There are a lot of advantages that people don't really think about.

Ike, the toys just never stop or never get any cheaper do they? smile

Tungsten and Fluorcarbon are 2 things I was slow to adopt. Do they really make that much difference? I've "been shown" there is a difference too many times, and experienced the difference too many times now that I have adopted them to say there is not. Just like Fluro, Tungsten isn't "always" better, it depends on what your doing. And there are scenarios still for me that it is better, but I just don't do it, mainly for cost reason. (i.e. C-rigging and Pike's loving to eat the weight)

Last year I was amazed at how much more I could "feel" with Fluro line and a Tungsten sinker (vs. Mono and lead). In one situation I thought I was getting bit a couple times and "whiffed", and later learned I was feeling ROCK. It was a pitching scenario, not dragging, and I could actually tell rock simply when my lure hit the bottom.

As mentioned, there are scenarios where I like lead better, and scenarios where I like Tungsten better, but it'd be a long story.

I have only used Excalibur, True Tungsten and Conquistador (sp?) tungsten to date. All work just fine, however the latter has the best price, so I've stuck with that. All have their differences (inserts, and insert types), so that is the big difference to most guys.

Both very good posts above. I'm about the same... I use True-Tung sinkers in flipping situations. I feel its more sensitive and gets through the grass much better than lead.

Cost, however isnt fun..

I like the True Tungsten ones because they dont have a straw in it like many others.. All tungsten ones I have used that have the straw seem to fall out and then damage my line. TT must use some kind of epoxy paint to cover the rough edges that tungsten makes.

Both very good posts above. I'm about the same... I use True-Tung sinkers in flipping situations. I feel its more sensitive and gets through the grass much better than lead.

Cost, however isnt fun..

I like the True Tungsten ones because they dont have a straw in it like many others.. All tungsten ones I have used that have the straw seem to fall out and then damage my line. TT must use some kind of epoxy paint to cover the rough edges that tungsten makes.

Tru-Tungsten uses a polishing technology to eliminate the insert, that is how they get a away with it. Not having an inserts has a couple benefits:

DOn't have to worry about insert failure

You can peg them much easier, most inserts prevent pegging other then a bobber stop

Inserts make the sinker less dense, not too big of a deal, but a difference none the less