• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deadsticking vs. bobbers

I, like most of you, have been steadily upgrading my ice fishing arsenal, but can't decide if I should buy a deadstick or not. I understand the concept behind it, but can't see any benefits really to that vs. using my Ice Buster Bobbers. I usually jig out of one hole in my Fish Trap, and have an Ice Buster going in the other - what advantage is there to deadsticking? Should I spend the $$ on a good DS rod, or buy some other fun stuff? Li'l help?
Biwabik

If you don't want to buy a Deadsticking rod, it sometimes can be cheap to just build your own. Many times Cabelas sells parts of rods. Last year I built my own dead sticking rod, which doubles as a solid jigging rod for Northerns and Eyes. Just a easy way to save some money and learn the skills of building a rod. Nothing feels better than catching a fish on a rod or lure that you made yourself.

Good Luck
May you drill your holes straight and bobbers stay under

Walleye #1

well the whole point of a deadstick rod is to be very flexible at the tip but have a good fish fighting backbone to it as well. that way the fish does not feel the resistance of a stiff tip. i like the theory of no bobber because you don't have to f with the hardware that goes along with one, however if using a deadstick without a bobber you have vertualy no way of seeing a fish that swims up on your bait.........if your gonna get a deadstick, do yourself a favor and get a thorne bros. deadstick.

Hey Biwabik Bohunk, I was kinda in the same situation as you. I didnt really know if i wanted a deadstick or not. I kinda looked into it and decided to go with my ice buster bobbers. Now im sure some other people would beg to differ but thats what I did.
I was looking into a T.Bros rod b/c i decided I might as well get the best will im at it. But I didnt want to spend that price on one rod and no lures so instead, I went to cabelas and loaded up on some ice lures that I wouldn't of got before.
I wasnt sure that I would of liked the rod or used it that much so thats why I went the other way.

------------------
Fish ON!

Progressive.resistance.is.the.big.benefit.of.a.good.DS.rod.

This.is.especially.important.with.certain.presentations,..such.as.with.circle.hooks.

By.the.time.the.fish.feels.a.shift.in.resistance.on.a.DS&circle...it's.too.late..it.is.hooked.

DS.rods.can.be.weighted.so.you.can.see.light.lighters.(Gills,Crappie,Perch)..or.set.to.indicate.tip-bites.

I.am.not.a.fan.at.all.of.floats.on.ice...seldom.use.them.

It.has.been.a.couple.of.years.since.I.used.a.float.on.ice.

I.blew.too.many.nice.fish.because.of.float.complications.in.the.cold.so.I.avoide.them.

My.preference.is.sticks.over.float..it's.just.best.for.me.I.guess?

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

ok somebody help me, why wouldn't it be better to use / rig a rattle reel instead of a deadstick or bobber, that is if you are in a hut? Isn't it easier to just listen for the bite? you don't have to keep looking back at the bobber or deadstick.confused as a rookie gets.

Looks like I approach deadsticking alittle differently than most. My thought is that the rod has two main functions 1)the hookset and 2) fighting the fish. We use homemade wire bobbers to detect the strike or bite as the case may be. For the wires, we use piano wire that is available at most hobby stores and predrilled plastic beads. A few bends of the wire add the bead and you are good to go. Vary the diameter of the wire depending on the size of fish you are targeting.

Thanks guys. Especially BWEddy and IceNutt. Sounds like the "progressive Resistance" is the main advantage to DS'ing vs. bobbers. I think I'll splurge and get myself one. I guess ya gotta try it to know for sure. I do like the circle hook idea too.
BB