• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick Fix for a grip

If you're in need of a quick fix of a cork grip that, say, has a big chip in it but you want to fish it...

Go to the auto parts store and get a roll of thick cork gasket material. It's a little tacky on the underside and can be cut to size and shape. It can be layered to get the right diameter. Alternate the placement of the seam. You can tack it down if you want or need to or simply put some tape over the seam just in case. Works good as a trim piece in a custom grip too!

Got questions? Just ask, if I can, I'll help. I sure don't think I know it all or that I'm the best at anything! I know better than that!!!! Just have some experience is all, and plenty of mistakes behind me and I'm sure, more to come.

You can also score through a cork ring (mono or powerpro can cut cork) while it's on a rod. Then cut the cork off of the rod so that you basically have a missing ring. Then square up the ends and prepare a new cork ring. The new cork ring will need to be cut in half (to get it on) but once it's prepared just glue it on with some rod bond (or a good long cure epoxy) and let it set. After that use files and rasps to get the cork close to the existing handle surface and then use sand papers and finer files to blend the new cork into the handle.

couple other options to try too:

There is a product called plastic wood. It is made by Dap and sold in the paint dept. at places like Home Depot. (Its a putty very similar to that of what a contractor would use to fill a nail hole in base board trim) It comes in various colors, dries right now, and is easy to use. Just a light sanding to smooth it out is all it takes. I use this on the samller chips and cracks that comes with some of the not so pure cork out there.

You can also take some cork dust and mix it with expoxy. For the deeper gauges or large chips this is ideal.

That too will work. You can also mix cork dust (always save it!) with diluted wood or white glue and do the same. Some epoxy will work but can be too hard to sand or add an odd color to the fixed spot. The commerical cork composite is made with a glue not an epoxy and cured under pressure. Lots of different ways to do things, that's what I love about it. Always learning from someone else!!!