• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The road gets another one....

Hotspotter

There's a particular area I hunt that's had 4 different toms picking through corn stubble, about as predictably as Old Faithful.

Yesterday afternoon when rounding the corner, from a mile or more away, I knew one had met his match. The car got it pretty bad too, plastic front end peices all over the road. I think it was a grey older GMC or Olds judging from all the car parts he left \:\) I'm going to give him a mouthful for driving too fast in turkey country \:\)

The group was 3 younger toms and a much larger older bird. The old bird has great spurs and an avg. beard, but he stands a few inches taller than his 2yr. old Tom buddies. This bird was one of the youngsters. 3/4" or so spurs, 9 1/4" beard, 20lbs 4oz.

tky_rs1.JPG

tky_rs2.JPG

Joel

Originally Posted By: sticknstring
Nice lookin bird...

Were ya able to salvage a breast off him? We were all hoping it was ol' longspur that met his demise... less competition in the turkey contest! ;\)

You bet, the breast meat was still very warm. Must've happened just before I turned the corner. Kind of funny, it was de ja vu. Last spring, I was coming back from a DNR Turkey Clinic I held, and I found a dead hen at the same crossing point, freshly hit. I salvaged the breast meat and got a tag from the CO. This time, I was heading back from an NWTF meeting, and there he was.

Friends are giving me a hard time, saying that all the pictures of birds I've hoisted in the spring are just local roadkill grin.gif. This guy could've passed for a bird you killed save the broken legs. Must not have been hit too hard.

Joel

I was looking at the leg a little bit last night, specifically one of the spurs, and reminded that the black spur is simply a finger-nail-like covering over bone. Whatever ran it over basically peeled the black part off, revealing the blood and bone beneath.

Joel