• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Darkhouse Fishing

Bruce

I thought I would give it a try for spear fishing this winter now that it is legal in North Dakota. I would like to use a portable shelter and was wondering if any of the commercial portable shelters get dark enough for spear fishing? Thank you to anyone who might be willing to give me some advise. Bruce

Hey Bruce-
I have an otter with velcro flaps used close both windows-I have speared in it and plan on doing more this winter, I'm going to put some ducttape on the seems to cut out more light though. I'm sure there are several other vareties with these features or you could implement them yourself, just make sure it's plenty dark. Good luck and have fun!
redhooks

I have a Frabill XL Twin that works very well for spearing. Its roomy enogh for even two people side by side to spear in. The height is about 67 inches and works well with the bench seat that comes with the Frabill XL. I attached c clamps to the reals for my decoy and my live bait and clamp them to the cross bars . Over all the best portable I have every owned for angling and spearing.

------------------

I hate to be the "Grinch" But until you can prove a catch and release method that is safe for the fish (and yes some I consider some personal friends weird as it may be) I personally dont care for spearing. Fish look bigger under water its hard to tell what size it is and you cant let them go.
nuff said except
CPR Catch Photo and Release its what gives all of them have a chance to get big and possibly trophy/record.
This is only my opinion and if anyone else agree's their's also.

------------------
Pies and Eyes for all.
Stay dry and on the fly if you find them they will bite..

Now I'm getting off topic but to me spearing is like hunting. You get a huge adrenal rush when you see a fish swim through. Just like when your out hunting. And the C&R is really easy - just don't spear that one, plain and simple.
Now for spearing houses most portables are dark enough for spearing. I helps to have a thick black canvas and the more dense it is the better. I think frabill's work pretty good for the occasion.

------------------
Fish ON!