• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Closest rideable trails to the metro area??

GoggleEye

Can anyone tell me where the closest rideable open trails are to the metro area (preferably the st. paul area)?? I am willing to ride trails that are in fair to decent condition, I just want to get some miles on!! The lake riding is rough and boring! Should I head north, south, east, west?? Where can I park my truck and trailer too? Thanks for any help.

GoggleEye

I would not head south. The Inver Grove Heights trails are "open" but in very poor condition. I'm not going back out there until we get at least 6 inches.

If you're itching to get miles on in the metro ditch riding might be your best bet. Let us know if you find anything decent.

I live in St.Michael and the trails here are in decent shape. The groomer just went through this week and there has not been much traffic from what I can see. Not sure where a good spot would be to park, you could possibly park at the St.Michael Elementary and drive from there. It is located off Hwy 241, 2 blocks west of Corner Bar. First though, I would check with the city or wright county sherrifs office to see if that would be ok to park there. St.Michael is only 15 minutes west of maple grove, hope this helps.

I'd suggest going up to Willow River. Its pretty close to the cities, theres a nice parking lot just off the freeway, you kind of have to hunt for it in town. The trails are usually in really good shape, since not alot of people go there, or overlook it. Plus theres all different ways you can go. Head east, west, north or south. I like heading to Moose Lake then over to Nickerson area. Or heading west and stopping at Denham Run Bar and Grill, which is just off the Soo Line. I kind of think of this area as a hidden jem.

I think right now theres 8-12" of snow according to the dnr snow map, http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snowmobiling/index.html which should be enough to make the trails good.

There is a nice trail along the Minnesota River that you can pick up between Shakopee and Jordan. I'm sure the trails are pretty beat up, but once we get some new snow it's worth checking out. Once you get down there it opens up to access more trails in Le Sueur, Scott, and Rice counties.

West Metro is pretty beat up for any one wanting to snowmobile. I have heard the UP is solid but that takes some dedication.

Might have to run some area lakes or some ditchs might be alright but even those are looking pretty brutal.

Anyone got an update on the area around city of Pine Lake/Willow river area/Moose Lake??? I am thinking about trying it on Sunday morning, but don't want to make the 1.5 hour drive for nothing. Thanks. ;\)

GoggleEye

Muskie Junkie, I don't know how the trails are in the metro now after the snow, but it looks like we got about 3 inches here in West St. paul. I don't know if that was enough to make them rideable in the metro. I guess if you know of some trails that are heavily wooded, those might be in ok shape. I heard the trails in Albert Lea are in pretty good shape right now if you are willing to drive an hour or so. Also the southeast corner of the state is getting more snow than most of the southern half of the state. Let us know if you try any trails in the metro and their conditions, I would like to get out riding sometime after work next week if they are rideable. Good luck.

GE

Trails around St. Micheal don't look that bad, there were quite a few sleds riding last night so they must be ok. The trail runs along the road by my house and it looks good but that is in the ditch where there is a lot of snow. I am heading up north where I know the snow is good, have fun!

I'll be trying the trails in Dakota County tonight and this weekend.....south of Rosemount.....Farmington, Coates, etc......

I've seen tracks on some of the trails, so at least a few people have been out....

MuskieJunkie - Back in December the groomers had been out on some of the trails.....from what I've seen, they aren't out much....I've seen requests for people to join the local snowmobile club, because the current membership is getting burned out on trail maintenance.......

GoogleEye - We wouldn't mind a tag-along, but I'm not sure what time we would be going out....if we go it will be with our neighbors & our kids.....so we won't be doing any wild riding....:)

I was thinking of possibly going tomorrow as well, but I haven't checked with the boss about what's on our agenda for tomorrow.....I saw your email on another post....I can email you once I have firmed up the schedule....if you would like.....

22X, ya that's fine. I don't do much wild riding anymore as I am 28 yrs. old now and I would much rather relax on my rides and enjoy the scenery. Once in a while I can ride a little more aggresive when I reunite with old buddies from back home, but for the most part I ride alone or have my girlfriend on the back. Let me know what time you plan on taking off and from where. If I can make it, I would be glad to meet a fellow fm'er and ride with some others. It's a lot safer that way. You can email if you would like or leave me a message on here.

GoggleEye

[email protected]