• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Something that might save your life

About 10 years ago I was fishin on a pond in Westboro Ma. and a guy came over to chat as the fishin was slow for Northern Pike and he had something hanging around his neck that I did not have any idea what it was. It was a piece of rope with a block of wood about 6 inches on each end of the rope. The blocks had a spike of metal on the end. I asked him what the heck it was and he said "Oh that's my lifesaver" I was still puzzled till he said " If you go thru the ice the hardest thing to do is getting back up on the ice. If you grab the blocks and use them as picks you can easily pull yourself out". They are easy to make, just drive a good sized nail in the block then grind a new point on the nail and put some eye hooks on the other end and attach a rope. Great Idea!

Here in Mn they sell them in the stores. They are made of molded plasic around a spike with a cord attached. I maybe be wrong but I believe they may also be available on this site. I have also been known to carry an extra 100 ft of rope never know when you may have to help someone else.