• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakers in the winter

NoodleSalad

I rarely fish lake trout deeper then 50 ft of water.
You get to know areas that produce so there isnt that much searching unless its new water and then I look for high percentage area's to start with and move if its slow. It's interesting but I never recall seeing schools of smelt or ciscoes on inland water's. I look at stomach contants and find more bugs then bait fish.
So I think your asking do I look for bait fish and setup, I dont. Besides that baitfish roam so it would be tough to stay on them.

Noodle Salad,

I used to look for schools of baitfish on Crow Lake when the fishing got slow. If we found baitfish, we more than likely found lakers with them or at least close by. This technique saved the day for me on more than one occasion. This was in the summertime though.

While ice fishing, I haven't noticed a whole lot of baitfish. I just set up in prime spots and jig away, which is what I'll be doing this weekend, on Crow.

------------------
Jaw Breaker Guide Service
Phone: 218 778-0087
[email protected]
http://fishtec.com/guide.htm

GREG C.
Tried calling the famed Jaw Breaker Guide Service tonight, said you were out for a while. Are you heading to Canada (Nestor Falls)or hitting Snowbank or Burntside for trout in (MN)? I'll try to give yous a call tomorrow night.

N/S
I have caught many trout in 120+ feet of water but 40-60 feet below the ice. The key is to watch your electonics! I see them at 50-60 feet out of know where and crank up 10 feet and if they shoot up, I'll crank another 5-10 feet and let lure sit if the trout follow it up they usually slam it on the way up, if not crank up another 10 feet, I have had trout slam my stim-u-nob or airplane jig just under the ice doing this under 100+ feet of water, but watch your electronics very closely!

WallEYES...

Hey, Smelly Jelly here. I was curious to here how you did up in canada! I was going to try to hook up with you but, my group went up the first week in Jan. right b4 the cold front came.I remembered you were goin up in the middle of jan. Needless to say we HAMMERED the lakers and craps. We are going up two more times next. Once in feb. and in march.
Here is my email address. I will give you the dates when we are up there next.

[email protected]

peace,
sj

SMELLY JELLY
We did great, even in the cold. I too will be heading up in February and in March. I'll send you off an e-mail shortly, have to send some coffee beans and some Red Neck Teck Hornet jigs to some friends in New York State.

WallEYE: Sorry I didn't get in touch with you. I didn't go back to this post until tonight. My wife said someone called and that must have been you. That was the first time for me on Crow through the ice. We encountered slow fishing. Four of us caught 14 lakers in 1 1/2 days. **** windy wasn't it? I used to keep a camper trailer at Crawfords every summer for about 6 years or so. I like that lake and plan on going back sometime this winter. Regards.....Greg C.