• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tresspass or harrass?

Bassboy1645

Back home I have a tree 10 yards from a fencline on stateland. For obvious reasons fencelines are dynamite at times and this stand is no exception. The issue in question is the angry landowner who claims its a tresspass simply becasue the stand faces his land and a long bow shot could be made over his fence. The stand faces the property becasue its the best position for a righthanded shooter and it allows us to remain hidden the best. We dont fling arrows over the border. In a weeks time he has come out twice and on both occassions he cussed, swore, yelled, hooted, and hollered up and down about getting the **** off his land. Each time he left with threats, more swearing, laying on the horn and doing cookies in the field nearby ( 50yards). Now if my interpretation of the law is correct, there is no distance a guy has to be from private land as long as he dosent step there. And the noise, threats, visit, from the landowner constitutes as hunter harrassment...Am I right?? What to do in this situation?? I could see this situtation leading to the landowner cutting down the stand if left there and some very hard feelings between landowners, sportsmen, and DNR in general..

Had the same thing happen bear hunting. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at the position the CO's take on hunter harrassment. Explain what is going on and I bet you, he will come out to the stand with you so when Mr. Landowner starts in, the CO will take over from there. I think that ought to solve the problems...

Good Luck!

Ken

Bring Digi video recorder and get video and audio of him threating you and go to police!

Minus that, I would switch hunting area's. No deer is worth having harm done onto you or another!

Thats what I thought. THanks for the help guys...Oh the incident happend to my youger bro. Im trying to direct him to some good spots to shoot his first deer but I guess some ppl in this world are jerks. Idk what has happend yet, but I know what im gonna do if it happens to me..Last time my bro just ignored him and the funny thing is the guy was threating to call the co on him...

Not sure if the"500" foot rule applies for bow hunting. But, if you are within 500 feet from an occupied building with a firearm, then, he has a point. Although, he acted like a (Contact Us Please) making his point.

joe

Even if the tree is on your side of the fence hanging over his side you are fine if you aren't shooting on his side. Game warden time for sure. Don't mess with the guy on your own. Too many nuts out there!

P.S. Can you leave a stand on state land? You may want to check that out.

I wasnt implying that I was going to deal with the issue myself. I was saying that I would handle the situation differently. rather than ignore the guy I would be nice and Get his liscense plate numbers and description if the harrasment happened to me. The incident happened on a WMA and as far as I know your not supposed to leave stands up. PPl do, but in this case it was a hang on stand that we just move around as we see fit, but we always remove it after the hunt overnight ( more so in fear that it would get stolen).