• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stihl 4-MIX engine on gas trimmers

Enids Hubby

I've been looking into getting a new gas trimmer and decided on the Stihl brand. My choice is between the fs55r-ce which is a 2 stroke 27.2 cc engine and has an easy start pull system, it list for 250.00 and no attachment are available.

The other choice is the fs90r which has a 4-MIX engine which is a 4 stroke but has no oil system you have to mix oil with the gas for the lubrication . It is a 28.4 cc motor and does have optional attachments you can get .I might use the edger attachment .It list for 300.00

They are about the same size engine wise but a 4 stroke with no oil system seems odd. I see the bigger units all use these 4-MIX engine . Doing some googling on them I see they have had some problems mainly on the bigger ones .My questions are ; does anyone have a stihl trimmer with the 4-MIX engine and how is it .Does anyone have the 2-cycle fs55 series. how much quieter is the 4-mix and do you think it's worth the extra 50.00 Thanks

I have the fs-55 model that I bought in 03 I like it and haven't had any problems with and don't think it's to noisy since you have to mix the gas for both models I would go with the 2-sroke. I think you'll be happy either way stihl is a good brand.

Thanks for the input . I think I'll get the fs55 model for sure. found out the edger attachment for the other one is 169.00 so that definately makes me go to the 2 stroke. Hope mine works as good as yours.