• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Redoing 14' Lund

Trout Guy

I am thinking about redoing a 14 foot aluminum Lund, and was wondering if anyone has done this previously, I need some ideas. I was also going to repaint it and was wondering how hard it is to do, and I need some suggestions on paint.

I redid an older aluminum Lund this spring. The paint was faded and scratched and I repainted it just using that automotive spray paint. I used an electric sander (one of those hand orbiting ones) to sand down the paint. You don't have to remove it all to the metal, but make sure you get the old stickers and stuff off all the way. I had to use a razor blade and some muscle to get the 20 year old license and "Lund" stickers off. I put a coat of primer on it (again, automotive grade spray can stuff), then put on the paint with about 3 medium-thin coats. The other thing I also did that I think makes a big difference in the paint lasting and looking nice is I put on a couple coats of the clear coat finish. I think that seals everything up and keeps it looking good. Oh, then after about a week or two when everything is done completely drying, I used a good car polish and wax to make it nice and shiny. smile.gif

I used the boat quite a bit this year and the paint held up actually a lot better than I thought it would. The only spot that the paint shows any wear is right up front where the bow meets the rubber bumper on the trailer.

I also put carpeting on the inside of the boat. The paint and wood benches on mine weren't much to look at either... The carpet I used was that tight weaved outdoor stuff, like what you would put on your front steps and I just put it on with regular outdoor carpet glue. (Use the outdoor carpet glue from Home Depot, not Menards. The Menards stuff just wasn't sticky enough.)

I know there are "better" marine options, but for an older boat it was fine, plus it was cheaper and I'm happy with the way it turned out.