• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick fix for a blown out nail?

juice6916

I have a Lab/German wire hair mix and while playing fetch or retrieving she'll run full speed at the target and then slam on the breaks. The outside nails on her front paws have cracked in the past and she did it again last week. It looks like everything is healing all right, but I'm taking her out to ND this week and she won't have a nail over the quick on one of her toes. It doesn't seem to bother her right now, but after a few days out in the field she's bound to ding it up on something. Vet said to keep it clean and thats about all I could do. I was wondering if anyone had come up with any other solutions for protecting a dogs toe while hunting?

I had a shorthair many years ago that would crack chunks of nails off... used to keep them clean and help healing with a product called pad coat. Seemed to help... just watch him. If he shows he's in pain DO NOT continue to hunt him... last thing you need is an infection in his foot.

Good Luck!

Ken

Keep those nails shot and you'll have much less of a problem. I try to trim my dogs nails every other week during he hunting season. Filing them down after you cut them can help prevent cracks as well. I've got one hard charging dog that always breaks nails. It doesn't seem to slow him down. I just cut off whats loose and away we go. If I notice a crack, but the nail is still attached, I will clean it and super glue the nail.