• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Healthy fish recipes

Most of the fish recipes that are listed are full of sat. fat. Do any of you have any healthy recipes for crappie, walleye, salmon, pike, sunfish, catfish, or perch? Any George Foreman grill users out there?

Thanks,
MJB

MJB 04

I like this receipe for healty eating fish . 2 tbls of mayonase 1 tbl. of mustard, chop up some onions and mix. spread coating on fillets and bake in oven 350 degrees for 20 Min.

A.W

MJB, The healthiest way to prepare fish is fried, although some people disagree. Think of it this way. We're supposed to eat more vegetables, right? So what do we fry our fish in? Vegetable oil, and what's vegetable oil made from? Vegetables of course! So it's just an efficient way of getting more vegetables! In fact those fish are just dripping with liquid vegetables!

I mainly do this to northerns, but any fish will do. I fillet the fish out and then depending on the size of the fillet and my kettle of boiling water, put the fillet or some pieces of fillet onto some aluminum foil and sprinkle some lawry's seasoning salt on it. Then wrap it up tight and boil it for 20 minutes. And voila' instant good eating. I usually squeeze some lemon juice on and maybe a little tartar sauce or mayo, or melt some butter for dipping, and there ya' go.....**** good eating.

I like to spray a little oil on aluminum foil-lay my fish fillets on top of that -spray the fillets just a tad and then sprinkle with some seasonings. (I prefer a little garlic powder, onion powder and fresh ground pepper.) Put this under the broiler for about 5-10 minutes and walla! good eating!

[This message has been edited by mucker (edited 12-30-2002).]

A basic fish boil: Throw an onion, bay leaf, some pepper, and enough salt to make it taste like salty soup, bring to a boil, throw in fillets - northern is very good if the Y-bones are out, crappies, walleyes or whatever fillets you have, when it gets back to a boil, they're done, drain the water, drisel a little butter over it - yummy! skip the butter or put it in a dish to the side for dipping if you're trying to be heart healthy.

Ybone.... I am sure you are joshing about vegetable oil being made from vegetables.... what veggies are you referring too??? just trying to stay informed smile.gif

------------------
Fishspicermn

FMWL

Actually any plant is vegetation so oil derived from plants is called vegetable oil. I use that to justify eating fried fish and making it sound healthy.

Pete Zebich, You don't sound like a Finlander but I've heard stories about mojakka, the Finnish soup made with fish heads. Have you got a recipe?

1 haukki (northern) about 5 lbs.
Scale, then fillet and de-bone. Leave skin attached. Cut into 2" chunks.
While you're doing this, boil up some spuds, add chopped onion after the first 10 minutes.
Drain and set aside boiled spuds.
Boil up the head with some Allspice - you're making the stock.
After stock has simmered awhile, remove the head and add potatoes/onions. Drop in your fish chunks. Simmer about 10 minutes. Add a couple of cans of Bordens condensed milk and a big glob of butter (1-2 sticks). Heat until butter is melted, and simmer for a few minutes, and start chowing.
Variations I have tried include carrots, rutabaga, crumbled bacon, and crumbled salt pork. Prefer the "plain Jane" method.

Take your fillets. Rub some Garlic powder or onion powder or sesoned salt on them, cut up some of your favorite veggys, onion, peppers, pre cooked potatoes etc. Wrap in sprayed foil and cook on very low indirect heat on your grill until the veggy's are soft. Tasty treats. We do this all the time in the BWCA after about 14 straight meals of fried fish and the combo of all the flavors in the meat is outstanding. Would go great with a cold beer I assume, but Tang and Vodka mixed with purified water also goes pretty well.

Good Luck,

WEJ

By the way I love the Vegetable oil reference. Gonna use that on the lady the next time she says I need to cut out some Fat.

One way to cook fish without adding any fat is to do it blackened style. You need to heat a cast iron skillett until its smoking hot, totally coat fillets with cajun seasoning and only flip once. If the fish sticks, the pan probably is not hot enough. The cajun seasonings usually contain brown sugar, so that caramelizes around the fish, seperating it from the pan, but hot pan is the key. Firmer fish will yield better results. For salmon, marinate in soy sauce with a little brown sugar and orange juice mixed in, then grill, again you dont need any oil or pan spray, just make sure the grill is hot before you start.

Carefull with touting the "blackened" fish as a healthy recipe, while it is true that it may have less fat than other means of cooking. The blackening process, forms nitrosamines from the protien, nitrosamines are suspected to cause esophageal and stomach cancer. Blackened fish is OK to eat once in a while, but I would hesitate to recommend it as a regular healthy alternative to other recipes.

Poach Fish
This is my grandma's recipe I use all the time.

1lb. firm fleshed fish
1c. chicken broth
1 medium chopped onion
2c. sliced mushrooms
1/4 tsp. herb salt
1 tsp. margarine
1-2 tbsp. cornstarch
OR like this how i do it mostly
1 lb fish
1c. chicken broth
1/2 c. chopped green onion
1/2 c. minced parsley
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp. horseradish
4 oz. Neuchafel cheese

simmer fish in broth and vegetables and seasonings. Remove fish and vegetables. Thicken with cornstarch mixed with small amount cold water or cheese, adding broth to cheese. Heat and serve sauce with fish and vegetables.

I usually use more then 1 lb of fish thou 1 lb isnt enough for my fat *** lol
Taste yummy not as good as my grandma's thou she still cooks on wood stove mmmm.

Oven Fried fish

Another i use

Fileted fish
salt& pepper
Milk
Rice Krispies crushed
Melted margarine

Dip fish into seasoned milk and then into crushed Rice Krisoies. Place on well greased(or foiled)pan and drizzle melted margarine over fish. Bake 15 min at 500 degrees.

dont know if either one of these are good for u lol but they taste good.