• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old Evinrude Q's

KB

Question

Just brought back an old boat and motor from my mom's house. Couple of questions for you guys. The motor is a '66 or '67 Evinrude, 7.5 hp. About ten years ago, my brother had taken it to a mechanic and had everything gone through and it ran like a top. Brother ran it for a couple of years, but it has since sat unused for the last 6 years at least. I've never dealt with these smaller old motors, so now on to the questions.

1. What should I do to this thing prior to trying to fire it up?

2. How does the cooling work on this? Is it like a typical boat motor with water pump, pee hole, etc.?

3. What is the fuel/oil ratio for this?

Thanks for any help

2 answers to this question

If the motor was run dry the last time it was used, you may need to do no more than replacing the sparkplug and giving the carb and fuel system good spraying. Also, replace the lower unit oil and grease any zerk fittings.

The cooling is the typical rubber impeller. If it has been a long time since it was run, the impeller may need to be replaced.

A fuel mix of 50:1 will work.