• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Help Deciding

Hello All,

I have read quite a few posts in the photo column in doing my research on a proposed camera purchase. I have come down to three choices and would appreciate your recommendations.

I am buying a new camera for my wife for xmas to upgrade our very old and cheap point and shoot. My wife's only criteria was that it be easy to get the pics out of the camera.

I actually bought the Canon S2IS with the 12x zoom. It seems quite functional and a good step up from our current camera. After reading various posts here, I am now thinking about the Canon EOS Rebel XT. THere is a great package online at a site recommended here which includes two lenses, a case, a card, etc and a printer. All in after rebates we are looking at about 1k - about 350 more than the S2IS.

Am I crazy for thinking spend a little extra cash and get a camera that can give us a lot of flexibility and be better able to take shots of my boys as they participate in sports as they grow (hockey at this point)?

Neither one of us have any experience in photography and would guess we will stay mostly a point and shoot family. Is the Rebel too complicated for the novice and is it overkill for point and shoot?

Lastly, is the Rebel a better choice than the Nikon D50 or is it just a price issue?

Any and all comments are appreciated

NFD

Quote:

Lastly, is the Rebel a better choice than the Nikon D50 or is it just a price issue?

I just purchased the Nikon D50 and was in the same situation... well maybe not the same situation, I wanted it for a few reasons... 1. to be able to take great outdoor nature shots 2. good action shots as I have two young children. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Cannon or Nikon as others on this site will attest... ie... Stfcatfish, Hobbydog, Tom Wilson, Cheryl etc. You can end up spending alot more money on lenses than the actual camera itself. Happy hunting! grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I just purchased the Nikon D50 and was in the same situation... well maybe not the same situation, I wanted it for a few reasons... 1. to be able to take great outdoor nature shots 2. good action shots as I have two young children. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Cannon or Nikon as others on this site will attest... ie... Stfcatfish, Hobbydog, Tom Wilson, Cheryl etc. You can end up spending alot more money on lenses than the actual camera itself. Happy hunting! grin.gif

Good advice Buzzy!!!

I personaly like Canon optics and think the Rebel is the best SLR for the money.

That being said you would be very happy with the S2IS or the Nikon not sure on your package deal though, the Rebel can be had for about $600 with case and tripod, a decent photo printer is a $100 and Compact flash $50/$100 not sure how much the lenses are or how much you will use them.

I say spend the money and get an SLR, you won't be disapointed.

Your Wife can easily hook up a USB cable to the camera or insert the compact Flash into a card reader, so there should be no problems with any digital camera you choose.

Good Luck, Pier. grin.gif

Buzzy I stole another Avatar from you.... grin.gif

Thankls for the input. I agree that the S2IS is a great camera - especially for our needs. While the camera may not be fast enough to capture hockey highlights, I do like the video feature. This feature could be fun if I sneak the camera out in the boat and capture a few catch and release moments in video.

I know the video quality will not be great but I could see us enjoying this feature.

In terms of the package - so far the package I found on the Canon is the best deal I have seen. The lenses are the standard 18-55 and a 70-30 (I think). As a novice, I am not sure when I would use these either.

I agree on getting the pictures out of the camera. With a card reader, it is a breeze. My wife's concern comes from the fact our current camera uses a serial cable to get them transferred - this gives you an idea of how old it is - We have recently got a card adapter to slide it into the laptop...

Thanks again - if anyone has any further comments of suggestions please keep them coming.

HFD

NFD:

I also believe the Rebel XT is the best digital SLR for the amateur for the money. One reason for that, not by any means the only one, is that the 8 megapixel sensor allows for larger prints than the 6 megapixel Nikon D50. But then, I'm a Canon shooter myself.

You may not think you'll want to make big prints now, but you might someday, and you also may have to crop to get the framing you want after you take the photo. A larger megapixel count allows you to make crops and still make good-sized prints.

If you buy that package, I bet you'll find yourself using the bigger lens pretty quickly. There's a lot you can do with nice portraits and other things with a 70-300. If you do shoot the telephoto, make sure to get a good tripod or make sure your lens is rock steady propped against something. Hand shake/camera tremble is amplified with a telephoto.

Also, there's virtually no point and shoot made that works fast enough to capture high speed sports like hockey. I shoot a Canon 20D and either a Canon 100-400 mm image stabilizer or a Canon 17-40 mm L. That's more focusing speed than the Rebel XT with a cheaper 70-300 can generate, but the Rebel XT with the 70-300 will be far faster than a point and shoot, and hand shake isn't much of an issue when you're tracking the action. I shot an original Digital Rebel (forerunner of the XT) and a Tamron 70-300 mm lens ($150 cost), and it worked well enough to get good sports shots, though it helps to practice, practice, practice. grin.gif

Well got tied up getting ready for xmas - but wanted to give you all an update. I decided on the S2IS figuring it would give the family the most flexibility in terms of who uses it. I have been very satisfied with it so far.

I think we will use the S2 to learn the basics and then move up to the Rebel XT. With the boys school plays, etc, we will always have a use for the S2.

I am eagerly trying to learn the basics of photography and would welcome any suggestions on resources for learning these basics. I have found a few good websites, but if you know of any or any books Please let me know.

I want to thank everyone for your thoughts and comments!!

I hope to post a few pics soon.