• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Life Jackets For Ice Fishing

Enids Hubby

I am thinking about buying a life jacket to wear during eary season ice fishing . The cracks in the ice and the snapping noises you hear are scary at times , not to mention the water going up and down in your hole when someone drives by. Do any of you other FM'ers wear one ? What type do you recommend that are comfortable to wear ?

Thanks.

Enids, I where one during early and late ice conditions. I bought a SOSpender inflatable on HSOList for about 1/2 of what the new ones cost. I also purchased a square floation seat that I'll be carrying with me as well as a rope with a clip on the end to attach to the seat to throw if need be. With three kids I'd really hate to not see again, I'm growing more and more careful as I grow older.

I have to second the SOSpenders recommendation. I've worn mine during early ice for a few years and really like it. Very comfortable...barely know it's on. Available in manually activated and automatically (if immersed) inflated models. Would probably recommend an automatic model for ice fishing...if you do happen to go through - getting to and activating the pull cord (if under winter clothing) is the last thing on your mind.

For those who venture out on very early ice, I would recommend a dry suit. We use these in the Fire Department for Ice Rescue in winter and they can't be beat. I've floated in these during ice rescue drills for hours and remained absolutely dry. Flotation on most models is rated at 250-300 pounds. We use the 'Mustang' suits.

For those who are unfamiliar with these, They are the same survival suits used by sailors on the Great Lakes, Bering Sea or other cold water environments.

Early and late ice, I don't wear it but I always carry a life jacket in my fishing sled. I also carry 100 feet of good 3/8in. rope. My thinking is to use them to rescue others rather than save myself. The last time I went through the ice, I had a life jacket in my sled, where it didn't do me a darn bit of good. tongue.gif

Sorry guys, I was away from the computer for a week or two and missed the follow up question.

RScabin - we get them through Emergency Services vendors. Check out mustangsurvival.com or do an internet search once you find the model you want. I believe ours run $500-600.

I know Mustang also makes jackets and 'snowmobile suits' for those that don't want the expense or bulk of the dry suits but these are not water tight, obviously.