• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help decipher all of these different cameras, plea

Mankato-Ice-Man

Question

Ok, so I got my Cabela's Club Weekend invite. Looking to use that free money along with my points from my card to buy an underwater camera this year. I already have a vex, house, heater and everything else you would want. I want the camera to help entertain my 2 1/2 year old little boy if he is able to go out this year, and certainly by next year.

I am hoping to spend less then 300.00 on one. Is that a pipe dream? Would I only be disappointed and eventually frustraited with one of those?

A couple years ago there were only a couple choices, this year I go to their HSOforum and there are like 10 different ones. I have no idea what lenses are the best or what features to look for. I am just looking for the best value for a reasonable amount of money.

Anyone who can lend a real dummy a hand????????

3 answers to this question

HI,

Ive been using a camera for 3 years now. Its basiclly a 9 inch tv with a infared camera attached. What I can tell you is that on a lake that has fairly clean water they work well. They are very entertaining, and you will see alot of fish with them.Up side is this model has a large picture compared to a aquaview, down side is that its not as easy to setup or compact as a aquaview or simular.

I would stay with a aquaview or marcum, They seem to be the best quality and most proven. The aquaview has the new scout which runs for value price of $199 that will work great for openwater and icefishing, but I would not recommend this unit for night fishing because it doesn't have multicolored lights. The new ice pro is a nice new unit, large screen, down viewing camera(ice fishing only) which runs for $299.

The marcum OVS 500 or 400 would be a good buy for you. I am kind of leaning away from Aqua-Vu on this one. I have a Aqua-Vu MC2x with 120' cable and all I have had is problems. Its disappointing when I put down over $300 and it doesnt work the way its supose to. All I will say is thin plastic parts exposed cold weather are NOT good and have a high risk of breaking as mine did. I'd love to preach some more about it but I wont.

The multi colored lights really do help too. I have compared 2 units and noticed a difference. I think a Marcum OVS 400 would be perfect for you and maybe close to $300. If your going to Cabelas check out the bargain cave, if your lucky you might find a camera in there cheap.

I would also recommend the new Marcum OVS 460, but I think that goes for over $300.