• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

venison kabobs

Has anyone ever made ka-bobs with venison? I've never made any kind of kabobs, but thought this sounded good. I was thinking of soaking the meat in some teriyaki or w/shire sauce. What would you suggest to put on the stick with the meat. I was thinking red and green peppers those little potatoes, and onion. Any other suggestions? thanks!~

Dustin

Hey Dustin85

I've tried it a couple times and only have a few things to add. Mostly personal preferences than anything. I like my meat medium rare and my vegetables well done(fewer nasty vitamins that way) so I precook my vegetables so they are not raw when I pull the sticks off the grill. I use small cubes of meat, 1" to 1 1/2" so my marinade is well absorbed and it helps with the quick cooking time so the meat doesn't dry out. Italian dressing and soy sauce in a 2 qrt plastic bag is a favorite marinade/method of mine. If you are serving to people who may not appreciate the full taste of venesen, I learned on this site that an overnight milk bath in the refreidgerator will take some of the game taste out.

On the stick I will try anything. Small pieces of peeled garlic clove, tomatoes, mushrooms, green onion plus everything you mentioned. I also like to brush some of the kabobs with a hot sauce for a little zing or seasoning salts of your choice while cooking

To state the obvious, you don't have near the marbeling of even lean beef so the line between juicy and dry gets thin real quick.

Just my .02 and good luck,

abens1078

Muskieguy,

I like to sautee'(sp) the vegetables in butter or olive oil so I can control how soft they get. Everything but the tomatos can go into a covered pan on med-low heat. This will also help the skewers go through more easily. This way those onions and peppers can either be lightly cooked or almost limp when they go on the skewers. If you like whole or larger mushroom pieces it will also help to soften these so the skewer doesn't make them split and break off when you turn the skewer.

I guess my method adds a little work but a big chunk of raw pepper or onion is not my favorite flavor or texture.

Abens

I made them yesterday, and they were good! I let them soak in a plastic bag with some teriyaki, w/shire,lite soy sauce. threw some dry seasoning on the meat, and grilled with green peppers, onion, potatoes. Nest time I will definatly add garlic! I also want to try the Italian dressing! Tahnks for your input!

Dustin