• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle Lake

I haven't fished Eagle for about 5 years but I saw the biggest musky of my life in the NE corner of Vermillion Bay. There is a weed bed that runs from the boat landing on the N end of the bay and then south along the shoreline. I am not going to even guess how big it was. I saw it four times on a shallow raider. Good Luck!!

A knee shaker, ay?

I like hearing strories like that, gets me excited about going. Last winter one of the locals told me he saw a 100 lb musky follow a 25" walleye to the boat. This is obviously debatable. He might have been pulling my leg, but he has caught 2 over 50lbs. So if he was being honest, it was quite possibly a world record. I've heard other stories like this one about Eagle and I know there are huge fish in that lake.

GEO
I don't know exactly where you are staying, but try fishing eyes around Viking Reef. It is a little rock reef area that is surrounded by 60'+ water. Troll deep diving cranks down to 24-28 feet...all/most fish suspended. Lots of big fish we caught before dark. I have not been there for a few years, I think the lake is closed to fishing at sunset, unless they changed that. In this same area I saw 59 inch muskie brought to the boat(someone elses boat) and know a 63 incher came out of this same area. Another good area to try is Osbourne Bay for ski's. Have fun on your trip.

I am heading up to Temple Bay Lodge 9/3 for a couple of days. We are using a guide for 2 days and fishing alone for one. This is my first trip to Canada even though I have fished my whole life in MN.

Anything I absolutely need to remember to bring in terms of tackle?

I am bringing up 2 spinning rods with 8 lb test and one bait cast rod spooled with 14 lb. I could bring an ultra lite but don't see the need.

Has anyone else gone up to Temple Bay? Any other tips you can receommend? Also, how much does the fishing guide expect to get tipped? Have a great weekend.

I was at Temple Bay Lodge earlier this year in June. If you are going for walleys bring a lot of jigs the lake is very rocky and the water level is down so expect to loose a good amount plus the pike like a jig a minnow combination about as much as the walleyes. We tipped our guide 10% and everybody else who used a guide was around that also. We did not catch any big pike or muskies but caught some very nice walleyes the largest one being 27 inches. Most of the pike were between 25 to 32 inches nothing huge but a lot of fun. If it is your first time to Temple Bay you are in for a treat. The food is geat and the staff is top notch.

Another vote for Temple Bay Lodge. I was living up there two summers ago and went out one evening with one of their guides (free of charge, I knew him) and he got us on fish. Evening fishing for walleye, and we did well on the reefs in August. They have a great bar and restaurant. Good Luck!

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Just got back from Temple Bay Lodge - very impressive operation. This was my first trip to Canada so I don't have much to compare it to but I thought they did real nice job. If you like fishing, this is the place to go. Breakfast was at 6 every morning and we were on the water by 7 and did not come in until 5:45 for 6:00 dinner. We were usually back out by 6:45 and fished 'til dark. Top notch equipment - all new 4 stroke motors. The dock boys were great - the would run down to meet us, tie up the boat and take our fish and clean them. Pretty cool service - food was good too - ate way too much.

Fishing was pretty good I think for the beginning of September. Weather was upper 80s all three days. We counted 34 fish in boat on Friday and on Thursday we know we caught more than that. Saturday we caught fewer. Lots of good walleyes and northerns. Not much for small mouth. One walleye over 23" one 20" and the rest under 17". Most northerns in the 25" range.

This was an easy trip to take since they do all driving, all the cooking, all the cleaning. All we brought were clothes and our fishing gear.