• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fly Fishing for Carp?

I've noticed carp, surpisingly enough feed on insects and such that land on the top of the water almost as much as I see bubbles from them uprooting underwater vegitation. Espically on hot, clear days. One thing I've allways been curious would be to fly fish for them (while I really don't know how to cast; I'm still learning) But I suppose you'd need a saltwater/pike fly rod for them... but where would you get one for a reasonable price? Anyone have any expereince with this? I'm just curious as I may try it someday. It's frustrating to see them mouthing and jumping all over the place and not even touch what you have waiting on the bottom for them.

get out there and cast, practice practice practice. It should not matter if you have a pike rod or not. The only problem that you might encounter is that IF you catch a large carp it may take you a little longer to land it. Kind of like hooking a passing train on the backcast, yaaaahoooo hear the drag scream!!!! Let us know how you do sounds like fun to me.

Crawlerman,

Where do you live? When these guys are feeding, can you see them in the water? Is the water clear enough that you can watch what they are doing? Are they statinary with thier tails up? I've wanted to try this for a while, but never had the right spot to try it. I've got all the rods and flies we would need to give it a whirl. I think the tackle will need to build around delicacy rather than brute strength since carp tend to be very spooky. Probably about a six weight. Drop me line. Let's go pierce some lips and make some reels scream.

Stiff

I think thats about what's on the rod I have... It's just a single action trout/bass/panfish rod. This guy from work says there's a spot underneath the Mendota 494 bridge where you can see them surfacing from the bike trail on the bridge. If I can get the specific location and figure out how to get down there; I'll let you know.

Try bread crust or dog buscuits.... yes i said dog buscuits. soak them in a little water first for an hour or 2 so you can hook them, throw a handfull in first to see if the carp are feeding on the surface. if you see thier big rubber lips sucking in the bait, cast out your hookbait and watch and wait, be ready because they are ferocious takes!!!!!!!

------------------