• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trip questions

lugnut

Our boss is taking 7 guys from work on a trip and I have to plan it. Just curious on some good spots out west or the u. p. A couple have exp. from years ago but 3 have no mountain exp. but want to try the deep stuff anyways. We are looking for a lodge that has rentals and a bar. any help would be great thanks

If you have folks with no Mnt experience I would consider their age and what shape they maybe in? You don't want to be the one that setup 3 heart attacks out on a mountain side as they try to dig their stuck ars out! wink

You could always rent in West Yellowstone and run the park but then if you have experienced mountain guys you will be the one that setup a lam trip! laugh

You may want to go to the UP and still have a great time! wink

BOSS IS PAYING FOR IT? grin

HEAD WEST!

How many days?

I would pick a place where you can ride in - ride out, I don't know much about W. Yellowstone or Island Park, I've never been there but I believe both offer that experience.

Cooke City does for sure, I make at least one trip and usually 2 each year to Cooke City, don't let the ' City ' part fool you, your talking about 100 residents, 1 main street in town and 1 ally.

All 4 snowmobile manufactures are available for rent between 2 business's. Cooke City Motorsports ( Arctic Cat / Yamaha ) and Cooke City Exxon ( Polaris / Ski Doo )

Bob at Bearclaw Sales and Service is an independent rental shop, he offers good deals on rentals and is a good guy to deal with, he might even take you on a guided trip.

Of course I recommend renting beacons and shovels at minimum no matter where you go, Yellowstone or Cooke, unless you have your own gear.

Most places don't offer insurance coverage on the sled rentals, Cooke City Motorsports might and your rentals will have to be in by 4 - 4:30 each day.

As for places to stay, you will probably want to look at the Soda Butte, they have it all under 1 roof, lodging, restaurant, bar and hot tub.

Other lodging places to check out, Super 8 ( only a few years old ), Antlers Lodge ( lodging / food ) and the Alpine Inn ( lodging )

Food is not a problem in Cooke, never had a bad meal at any of the places, Soda Butte, Miners, Bearclaw Bakery, Bistro or Antlers Lodge.

To drive directly to Cooke, you have to enter Yellowstone at the Gardiner entrance, then drive into town, it's the only way in during the winter with a car or pickup.

New Years and Presidents weekends are some of the busier weekends, it's pretty busy all the way to mid March but lodging usually isn't a problem except for the 2 weekends I mentioned above.

Cooke City is considered pretty radical by lots of people but it really isn't, you can spend days up there horsing around on the smaller hills and meadows and not have to touch the big stuff where most people get into trouble. If you hit it right and there's tons of fresh snow, you can't climb squat anyway, even the small hills..... but you'll have a blast!

You can view different Snotel sites across the mountains to get an idea on snow depth, Cooke City's is the Fisher Creek Snotel. Another good place for info the the Montana Avalanche Center, they do a great job on keeping an eye on snow conditions around Cooke and W. Yellowstone and issues daily advisory's.

Here's a teaser from last January grin

COOKE CITY PICS

Mike

Leech does make a good point too about the condition of the guys going along, you'll ride anywhere from 7500 feet to 10,500 feet ( roughly ), it's a workout, especially in deep powder but every year I see some pretty big guys up there getting around just fine.

I believe Cooke offers about 60 miles of trails ( I think thats pushing it ) after that its a back country boondocking bonanza!

Mike

Leech does make a good point too about the condition of the guys going along, you'll ride anywhere from 7500 feet to 10,500 feet ( roughly ), it's a workout, especially in deep powder but every year I see some pretty big guys up there getting around just fine.

I believe Cooke offers about 60 miles of trails ( I think thats pushing it ) after that its a back country boondocking bonanza!

Mike

MN Mike

You do make a good point. If the boss is paying hell you only live once anyway, you may as well go for it! It could be a once in a life time trip for most anyway! wink

Oh ya, lugnut. That sounds like a great place to work! Need anyone to watch the shop while you guys are out? Maybe as a new employee, I can get in on next years trip then! laugh

Thanks for the info, we are planning 2-3 days of riding. We are thinking of middle to late feb. since we will be working till then. Most of us are in decent shape so not too worried about that just might have to hit the gym for a month prior for some cardio. Ya the boss treats us pretty good for us busting our butts all year long last year was Vegas the year before was devils lake. We will definitely look at Cooke City, hopefully can find some rentals with insurance. again thanks for the advice and info i'll post some pics when we get back

3 days of riding is what we usually do too, by the end of the 3rd day a person is ready for a break.

You might want to check with your insurance company, they might cover a rental, I believe my company does if I have full coverage on the sled I own but it does vary from company to company.

We are planning on a early January trip, if that falls through, then the next available time is mid February and we are still planning a trip in March / April time frame too.

If you decide to go to Cooke, let me know and I'll shoot you some riding area tips.

Mike

Thanks for the info, we are planning 2-3 days of riding. We are thinking of middle to late feb. since we will be working till then. Most of us are in decent shape so not too worried about that just might have to hit the gym for a month prior for some cardio. Ya the boss treats us pretty good for us busting our butts all year long last year was Vegas the year before was devils lake. We will definitely look at Cooke City, hopefully can find some rentals with insurance. again thanks for the advice and info i'll post some pics when we get back

Screw the pictures and report. Send me a PM where you work, i'm in the market for a change! laugh