• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

South Dakota !

Any one trying SD this fall ? We are looking at a new area to try ! The deer herd is down a lot but it's still fun to try . We used to hunt the black hills but every year we see less and less deer . We can only take one deer this year in MN so I can't wait to try some new ground in SD !

I went out there in 2010/11/12 and loved each trip! The last trip was a complete bust(hunted near Sturgis) as I saw twice as many dead deer as I did live deer and I never fired a shot in 3 days of hunting some prime territory. 1st 2 years hunting meade county I did shoot two 10 point whitetails and a 9 point mule deer. I can say in 2010 I had never seen so many bucks from 120-140 inches in one area in my life...the rut was crazy...in the mornings hunting near the river I could scan with binocs from a high spot and nice bucks would be scattered everywhere in the distance chasing, tending, and fighting

jeff

I'm going to southern Perkins county this year for the first time with my daughter. The Black Hills deer hunt was supposed to be her 16th birthday present from me. Even with 2 years of preference we did not draw and that left me scrambling to get any tag possible to make the trip. The third draw we were successful in getting whitetail tags.

Going to a new area with the high expectations that promoted with the Hills is going to be tough. Our plan is to go the weekend before and the days before Thanksgiving to avoid the opening weekend crowds and provide her with a good hunt. I am looking forward to this hunt more than anything this year.