• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newbie Questions

BradB

Again, your well-considered advice is appreciated.

I stopped by HondaTown in Minneapolis this afternoon and measured the ground clearance on the Rubicon. Sure enough, it was just shy of 8 inches. I'm not sure why the ATV magazines are publishing different numbers. Could it be the type of tires used on the test bikes? Maybe some other setting?

With this bit of data the Polaris Sportsman is back at the head of the list.

Thanks Dave. I posted the above before I noticed your revision to your message just above.

That list is very helpful. One question, though. How much of a larger ground clearance do you feel the Sportsman 700 has over the Sportsman 500 or 400. If it is a function of tires with larger treads, how much difference do you feel that could account for?

[This message has been edited by BradB (edited 11-28-2001).]

The Sportsman 400 & 500 machines are identical except for the engine size. The SP700 frame and suspension is slightly different from the 500 & 400 but I really don't think it added any ground clearance. They all run 25" tires so the clearance should be pretty much the same.

The SP700 does have a little stiffer suspension for the increase in machine weight. So, the 700 may not "sag" as much in the center when loaded with a rider or gear.
That's one item about independent suspensions on machines. The center of the suspension/frame will drop more as more weight is on the machine. Have one person sit on a machine and watch the hitch area. Now, add another person and watch it drop some more. Although it drops more, I still think independents have more ground clearance than most straight axle machines. That's pretty much the result from the ground clearance test.

Many guys run a higher air pressure in the Sportsman tires for a little more ground clearance. The Sportsman's suspension travel makes up for the harder tires. Increase the tire air pressure, for more ground clearance, on a straight axle, short suspension travel machine and your ride comfort will suffer a lot.

Dave,

I was actually just discussing that with another rider yesterday. We thought that adding air pressure would be a good deal for the winter. However, I have no idea how much pressure those tires will live with. How much air pressure is too much?

I've seen guys run 10psi on some of the mud tires. Some of the 4-ply tires may be less puncture resistant at higher pressure due to less give when hitting obstacles.

PS....don't forget to stop by the Otter Outdoor display at the St. Paul Ice Show. I'll have a machine there that I think you guys will like. And, you'll see what traction is all about. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 11-29-2001).]

Dave,

I checked out your machine tonight at the ice show--beautiful! I particularly admired the tires you had on that baby.

I looked them up on the itercotire.com HSOforum but couldn't seem to find a price. About how much would those babies run, and do you think any dealer would be able to get ahold of them?

They look like just the thing to keep moving through snow.

Brad

My apologizes Brad. For some reason I just noticed your post. Check out treaddepot.com for an idea on prices. Note thou, those tires you saw on my machine will not give you the smoothest ride on hard summer trails thou. I suspect they run about $90 a piece; for just the tire.
I was there most of that night. I may have even spoke to ya. I spoke with hunt4food for awhile before we found out who each other was smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 12-14-2001).]