• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bear hunting guide

I am planning a bear hunt for either the 2013 or 2014 season. I will be going through a guide as I know pretty much nothing about bear hunting. I also do not believe I would have the time to attend my bait stations as one would need to so the outfitter plan seems to fit. Anyway as far as guides go I would like to hear from you as far as what to look for or ask the outfitter based on your experiences. I will be using archery equipment. I would also like to ask for recommendations based on your own personal experiences. Lastly I should mention that I will be based out of the lake vermilion area. Not sure how many outfitters are in the area with exception of Udovichs guide service up in the Orr area which I have heard some good things about.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

I would ask for references and call them. Does the outfitter provide trail cam pics of the bear or bears hitting your bait site? Do they have active back up bait site if you would like to move (with pics)? Some outfitters consider a wounded bear a dead bear and that ends your hunt, something to consider. Do you need help tracking, field dressing, skinning, ect. and is that included? I think most outfitters will do everything they can to give you a memorable hunt and get you a bear, its the best advertising. Good luck!

Just make sure they are a licensed/registered bear guide/outfitter.

A person may not place bait or guide bear hunters for compensation without first obtaining a Bear Outfitters License ($82.50, resident only) or Master Bear Outfitters License ($165.00, resident only).

Good Luck